How to create a numeric field with a value that increments value for every new issue created

Sid
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 2, 2018

How to create a numeric field with a value that increments value for every new issue created in a project.

4 comments

Comment

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 4, 2018

You will have to create a calculated, read-only, custom field. You can either write your own add-on or use plugins like script runner to create a scripted field.

Sid
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 9, 2018

got the solution with the script runner plugin.

Create a text custom field (single line). In the example I added "Numbers" as field name. Then create a postfuntion with the script below. 

import com.atlassian.jira.component.ComponentAccessor
import com.atlassian.jira.jql.parser.JqlQueryParser
import com.atlassian.jira.web.bean.PagerFilter
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.fields.CustomField
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.Issue
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.MutableIssue
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.search.SearchProvider

// get all the used numbers so far
def query = ComponentAccessor.getComponent(JqlQueryParser).parseQuery("project = JA AND 'Numbers' is not EMPTY ORDER BY 'Numbers' DESC")
def results = ComponentAccessor.getComponent(SearchProvider).search(query,ComponentAccessor.getJiraAuthenticationContext().getLoggedInUser(),new PagerFilter(1))
int maxNumbers = 0
CustomField cField = ComponentAccessor.getCustomFieldManager().getCustomFieldObjectByName("Numbers")

// get the highest used number
for(Issue documentIssue: results.getIssues())

{ maxNumbers = documentIssue.getCustomFieldValue(cField) as Integer }
// set the new number
def newNumbers = ++maxNumbers as String
issue.setCustomFieldValue(cField, newNumbers)

Hope this helps to anyone looking similar type of fields 

Like Bill Tanner likes this
Bill Tanner September 12, 2019

Works like a charm!  Thanks so much!

Sekhar Chandra December 13, 2019

Hi @Sid 

I'm getting error in the last line " issue.setCustomFieldValue(cField, newNumbers) "

saying that - " The variable [issue] is undeclared "

Please help.

Sid
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 15, 2019

@Sekhar Chandra 

Did you follow the same steps?

Sid
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 15, 2019

updated script for jira 8

def results = ComponentAccessor.getComponent(SearchProvider).search(query,ComponentAccessor.getJiraAuthenticationContext().getLoggedInUser(),new PagerFilter(1))
to
import com.atlassian.jira.bc.issue.search.SearchService

def search = ComponentAccessor.getComponent(SearchService).search(ComponentAccessor.getJiraAuthenticationContext().getLoggedInUser(), query, new PagerFilter(1))

and 

from
to
for(Issue documentIssue: search.results)

Priyanka khare May 28, 2021

Hello @Sid 

I want a script that will auto-increment the number field that is "Issue Ranking" having numbers from 1 to 100. So when I create an issue and manually number that issue say - 49(edit that issue ) then I need that the already existing 49 should become 50 and already existing 50 should become 51.. that is, it should automatically increment itself on the basis of what number I have selected in the recently created ticket.
similarly when I number the issue manually as 30 then already existing should be 31 and already existing 31 should be 32 and so on... 

Sid
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 9, 2018

Dan Zaltsman March 5, 2020

Hi im trying to use and i got an error:

the variable issue is undeclared

can someone please help

import com.atlassian.jira.component.ComponentAccessor
import com.atlassian.jira.jql.parser.JqlQueryParser
import com.atlassian.jira.web.bean.PagerFilter
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.fields.CustomField
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.Issue
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.MutableIssue
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.search.SearchProvider

// get all the used Old_Test_ID so far
def query = ComponentAccessor.getComponent(JqlQueryParser).parseQuery("project = CEQB AND 'Old_Test_ID' is not EMPTY ORDER BY 'Old_Test_ID' DESC")
int maxOld_Test_ID = 0
CustomField cField = ComponentAccessor.getCustomFieldManager().getCustomFieldObjectByName("Old_Test_ID")

// get the highest used number

{ maxOld_Test_ID = documentIssue.getCustomFieldValue(cField) as Integer }
// set the new number
def newOld_Test_ID = ++maxOld_Test_ID as String
issue.setCustomFieldValue(cField, newOld_Test_ID)

Lars Swart
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 18, 2020

Hi Dan, 

I also got stuck at this point. The failure seems to be with the last line.

issue.setCustomFieldValue(cField, newOld_Test_ID)

Did you find a solution?

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events