How to create NEW project BASED ON EXISTING PROJECT

Carnegie Technologies Belgrade April 29, 2021

Atlassian, I´ve spent YEARS administering JIRA and NOW I DO NOT KNOW HOW TO CREATE A NEW PROJECT based on EXISTING PROJECT!

Where is the option???

Thank you.

6 comments

Comment

Vikrant Yadav
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 29, 2021

Hi @Carnegie Technologies Belgrade ScriptRunner provides an option to mimic existing project . 

Carnegie Technologies Belgrade April 29, 2021

I am not going to use 3rd party solutions.

Did atlassian remove the feature???

Like Antônio Duarte likes this
Matthew Thurmaier October 7, 2021

So, it sucks that Atlasian screwed this up. However, I'm into "easy" and the Deep Clone add-on for $5/month allows this. You can even just clone your existing project using the free trial if this is a one-off.

Ryan April 29, 2021

With the new change to Create Project, I have to do this:

1. Projects > Create Project

2. Pick any template.

3. Click "Use template"

4. Click "Select a company managed project"

5. Select "Share settings with an existing project"

6. Select the project you want to base it on.

Like # people like this
Kathy Hart
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 13, 2021

Great answer, @Ryan 

Your answer is correct. 

And it is ridiculous that you have to go through all the steps to select a template and all that only to ditch the whole thing in the last step when you select an existing project. 

Selecting an existing project should be available at step 2: (like it used to be) Select a template OR copy an existing project. 

If anybody knows of a feature correction ticket in Atlassian Jira Support to change this, I will gladly vote for it. 

I'm going to look for one. If I can't find one, I'll make one. 

Thanks
K

Like # people like this
Emeric Fillatre September 9, 2021

Hi @Ryan

I just saw your answer as I was searching for exactly the same issue.

I followed your instructions but it seems like there is no way to select a company managed project (no option provided anymore since new creation process screens).

Is there any tricks ? or is this a chargerable feature (we currently are in "standard" billing plan)

Thanks in advance for you answer if you have any idea.

Like Alex Kulagin likes this
Ryan September 9, 2021

You're right!  It looks like the process has changed, and that there's no longer a checkbox for that.  The documentation has not been updated either.

I did go ahead and made a project based off an existing one, and it created a company managed project. I'm not sure if that's because the project I based it off of was company managed, or if it was some other reason.

I'll poke around more once we get a sandbox set up properly if there's no answer by then.

Like Alex Kulagin likes this
Ryan September 10, 2021

@Emeric Fillatre 

I take it back.  It looks like some templates do not allow a choice and are always company managed (like Bug Tracking), but other projects, like a Scrum project will give you the option.

jay.vergara October 7, 2021

So having a similar problem here. I followed the steps outlined above and select a local project but my Sprint Board was not created in the new project. My assumption was if you selected an existing project all setup and configurations would come over. Does not appear to be that way?

Kathy Hart
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 11, 2021

There are specific things that do not get copied. 

Components are not replicated

People, does not copy, you have to add your groups anew. 

You'll want to check your issue layouts. 

And, Sprint boards as you say. 

jay.vergara February 9, 2022

@David C an Item I opened sometime ago but still has no answer. This has been an ongoing conversation within Reece.

Alis-Hathway Ward (DO NOT USE) February 16, 2023

Cloning a board is a different process. You do that under 'boards' > ... > Copy.

Mo Taha January 4, 2022

Is there any update to this? I want to create new projects using configurations from old projects. Still not sure how to do this ?!?!

Like # people like this
Kirsti van Wessel February 14, 2023

I was thinking, Jira allows for export to and import from csv files.
When you export your project settings can you then import this in a new project?

Alis-Hathway Ward (DO NOT USE) February 16, 2023

The setting y'all want to poke around for is a checkbox called, "Share settings with an existing project". UIs change, so look around for that verbiage.

Currently, there are some rules around when you can perform this action, but in general "Team Managed" projects cannot be copied from other projects, even other Team Managed projects. Behaviors I saw:

• When you choose a "Service Management" or "Work Management" template, the checkbox could be hidden under "More Options" on the form view / screen with the field to set the project name.
  • For Software Development templates, you have to choose the "Company Managed" project type.
    • When you choose a Jira Software project template (kanban, scrum, bug tracker), you should be prompted which project type you want to create.
      • If you don't get prompted, progress to the form view / screen where you're asked to specify the project name and look for the drop down called "Project Type". It needs to say, "Company Managed".
  • Not every Jira template lets you choose your project type, e.g., "Jira Service Management" templates. These default to "Company Managed". They do let you "Share settings", from what I can tell, though.
  • If you want the project to be "Team Managed", you won't be able to copy general settings from another project.
    • Furthermore, other Team Managed projects–even those managed by you–won't be visible in the drop down of company managed projects to copy settings from.
  • The Company Managed option says "Administrators Only" for me. I'm an admin, so I'm not sure if that is a warning that only I can create those project types, but mentioning it just in case it is.
Like Rob likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events