How do YOU manage resources working across multiple projects in Jira?

Dean Langford September 13, 2021

I have several team members each of whom are are working on multiple projects. some of this projects are working off of their own Project in Jira, other engage my team through a demand management process which ultimately results in issues in the Jira Project I own.

When it comes to Sprint planning I find it really difficult to manage resource utilisation effectively and I'm assuming it's at least partially related to my lack of maturity using Jira.

I don't seem to be able to find a way to see all the issues all my Team members are assigned to across all the Jira Projects in a consolidated view.

So, I was wondering if any of you good folks in this community have similar scenarios and if so, how you deal with it?

5 comments

Comment

Jacob Vu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 13, 2021

Hi @Dean Langford

Do you have the ability to use Advanced Roadmaps? This is available on Jira Software Premium and would be able to help you out.

You'd be able to do sprint planning, resource planning and assign tasks to the various teams in Advanced Roadmaps. Super useful for what you'd need to do.

Hope that helps.

Jacob

Ostap Zaishlyi _Reliex_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 15, 2021

Hello @Dean Langford 

I am Ostap from Reliex, we developed ActivityTimeline app for Jira that allows us to effectively plan & track resources across multiple projects & teams.

You can easily see who is doing what and when it will be done to make sure your resources aren't over- or underloaded.

We also provide different reports: like Resource Utilization reports (by Project & Epic), Individual & Team timesheets as well as Planned vs. Actual reports.

Feel free to check it out and reach out to our support team should you have any quesions.

Maria
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 28, 2021

Hi @Ostap Zaishlyi _Reliex_ 

I'm Tania from the Planyway team:)

Planyway is the Jira add-on that solves the problem you described by providing a team timeline that visualizes issues across Jira projects on a single view.

Additionally, you may manage the workload based on daily capacity and use it as a time tracking tool.
Resource Planning.png
Let me know if you'd like to know more below or just reach out at support@planyway.com

Best,
Tania

Anna-BigPicture
Marketplace Partner
November 2, 2021

Hi @Dean Langford

BigPicture is a tool that can facilitate both Teams' utilization planning on an enterprise-wide level and Sprint Planning based on Teams' capacity. Please have a look at this 4-minute video tutorial on how to track your resources' capacity to manage workload optimally. 
image - 2021-11-02T155147.067.png
In case of any questions, just tag me!
Tami Lee Field February 22, 2022

Hi All ( @Anna @Maria @Ostap Zaishlyi _Reliex_ @Jacob Vu )

We too have team members across multiple projects. Business would like a view of how many points and cards have been allocated to a users per board and in total, as well as the total number of points across all boards. 

in one simple view. Do any of the above do this?

Maria
Marketplace Partner
February 22, 2022

Hi @Tami Lee Field , Planyway takes into account only the original estimate, not story points, I'm afraid. Other than that, it's possible to see how much time was allocated per user for all projects at once, or per project by connecting and disconnecting different projects to Planyway:

jira plany.gif

I'll be here if any questions ^_^

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events