Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How are you handling migration of features and changes between environment?

Mathis Hellensberg
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 17, 2020

Hi everyone,

I keep having the same problem in Jira. Whenever I make some changes or new functionality in a customers development instance, I don't know have any clever way of moving these changes to production. Every time I have to make the exact same changes all over again in production and I was hoping to get a discussion going on how everyone else is handling this problem?

Most of my customers are using Insight and Scriptrunner, so if anyone have tricks on how to include these add-ons as well (Insight Object Custom Fields, Listeners, Scriptet Post-Functions etc.) it would be much appreciated! 

1 comment

Comment

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 17, 2020

I tend to use Project Configurator, because I work for the vendor.  There are other apps that do similar work - the other one I've used a lot is Botron's Configuration Manager

Mathis Hellensberg
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 17, 2020

Hi @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- 

Thank you for your input, are you able to elaborate on the cons and pros between the two while you work for one? :) 

Lets say I made a new Issue Type with Custom Fields, a brand new Workflow within an existing project in the development instance. Would the recommended add-ons be able to carry over those changes to production while keeping the old stuff intact?

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 6, 2020

Hi Matthis,

both products have their pros and cons. Migrations are -generally- not an easy task to do - beg my pardon I can't say anything about your specific case with Issue Types/Workflows.

Both products aimed towards not to harm your instances in any way - proper backups in advanced are advised anyway in all cases (and more in general also if not planning/doing migrations).

You can have evaluation licenses for both products mentioned through Atlassian Marketplace.
As each migration, literally, is individual my best advise would be to test both products on a non-production environment and then decide which one works best for you.

Cheers,
Daniel

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events