cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How To: Epic / User Story / SubTask Issue Filtering

Cloudites Owner
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 21, 2022

This post provides a step by step configuration guide to create a simplified Issue Type structure which enables a Jira project to utilize and report across any number of Epics and their full hierarchy of Linked Child issues.

By default Jira Scrum project templates use Subtasks to create issue associations for Issue Type: Story which unnecessarily complicates reporting and allows non-explicit opportunities for unresolved blocker issues to slip through into a release.

Definitions

Subtask – Jira secondary Issue Type of Sub-tasks.

Linked Child – User-definable, full feature ITIL4 compliant Jira main Issue Type.

Benefits

All Epic interconnected issues are using the Jira main Issue Type and can be accessed without traversing across Jira’s main and secondary Issue Type structures.

Linked Child issues have access to the full array of linked issue conditions so non-blockers (linked issue ‘contains’) and blockers (linked issue ‘Cannot finish until linked issue is finished) are clearly articulated.

Epic and/or Story Advanced Search and Dashboard filters can easily be created using a single jql statement.

Does not require the project to rely on Issue Type Hierarchies administration.

How To

Step 1. Navigate to Settings, Issues, Issue Types. Add a new Issue Type. The name is user-definable, I’ve named mine SubTask. Select a preset icon or upload one of your own. I use the Jira default Sub-tasks icon. Save.

Step 2. Navigate to Settings, Issues, Issue Type Schemes. Search for your project and edit the project’s Issue Type Scheme. Add the newly created Issue Type to the list of Available issue types. Save.

Step 3. Navigate to Settings, Issues, Sub-tasks. Disable Sub-tasks. (Yes, you’re reading this correctly! 😄). Confirm.

Done.

Usage

1. Create Epic main issue
2. Create Story main issue
3. Open Story main issue
4. Populate Epic Link to associate the Story to the Epic
5. Click the Create Linked Issue + icon to create a SubTask
6. Select Issue Type SubTask
7. Select an appropriate Linked Issue condition
8. Fill out all other issue fields as usual

Reporting

With all Issue Types using the main Jira Issue Type basic and advanced jql filters are usable to report across the full list of Epic issues. This also enables the parentEpic function to be a powerful issue aggregator across Epics.

1 comment

Comment

Gergo Matyas October 23, 2022

I've never tried this way, but I'll give it a shot. Thx. ☺️

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events