GDPR compliance and e-mail notifications.

Sara Hallberg March 6, 2019

Hi Atlassian community,

I live in Europe and hence my usage of Jira (JSD) needs to be GDPR comliant.

According to GDPR you should not send personal information via email (because it is not encrypted / not secure enough encryption.)

I want to alert my clients (reporters) that there has been a development on their case, hence send out an email when status is changed to waiting for customer. I do not want there to be any history or actual comments sent out via email.

Hence it would be perfect if the customer just got a notfication that there has been a development and then has to log in to the service desk portal to see the answer from the support.

How do I do this?
Best regards,

Sara from Sweden

3 comments

Comment

Payne
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 6, 2019

You have control over what information is included in customer emails by clicking the Project Settings cog at the lower left, then choosing Customer notifications, and then clicking the Edit link on the various notifications.

Like LarryBrock likes this
Metin Savignano March 6, 2019

Hi Sara,

You're making a good point about the GDPR requirements. Thank you for that.

I can see three options that you have:

1. Switch off any notifications. Nothing will be revealed, but then, users won't get notified which is probably not a good solution.
  2. Change the email templates in a way that they do not contain any contents besides a short note that there was a new comment or other update, and a link to the issue. Users will be notified, but are required to follow the link to learn details.
  3. Use email encryption for the notifications. The Marketplace app S/Notify Email Encryption for Jira app supports both S/MIME and PGP for that purpose. Users would get all the benefits from detailed notifications, and no Jira modifications are required.

Disclaimer: I belong to the vendor that offers solution 3.

Cheerio
Metin

Like LarryBrock likes this
LarryBrock
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 7, 2019

Thank you for the transparency @Metin Savignano, it's much appreciated.

Sara Hallberg April 8, 2019

@Payne @Metin Savignano 

Thank you both so much for your replies!

I really appreciate it!

I choose the solution to not include the comment variable in my notifications.

Best regards from Sara

Like # people like this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events