Feature Request - Swimlanes by String

Marco Trosi May 4, 2022

Hi everyone,

there are many many issues (like this) in here where someone asks for example "how to create Swimlanes by Component". And yes there is a way to do it, but you have to create Query Swimlane for each Component.

So accordingly people want to have Swimlanes by Component as a predefined option like the already existing Swimlanes by Project, Assignee, ...

But then in the future someone wants to group by again something that doesn't exist as a predefined grouping option for Swimlanes.

So therefore I would propose the following feature...

I would like to have a kind of Query whos result is a string, and all the results that have the same string result will be on the same Swimlane.

So for example I take the Component value which is a string at the end, and all the cards that have the same Component string will be put on the same Swimlane.

Means I have to describe the Swimlane definition only 1 time, saying "get this and that value from the issues, and put all the cards that build the same string on the same Swimlane".

maybe building even the string like in the following (not so useful) example ...

Card.Component + "_" + Card.Priority

which could result in ...
MyComponent_high

... and all cards producing the same result will be on the same swimlane.

I hope I could somehow explain the basic idea, for details and further ideas join the discussion.

Have a great day

marco

@Manon Soubies-Camy 

1 comment

Comment

Phill Fox
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 4, 2022

@Marco Trosi 

You could achieve this already with a relatively straightforward workaround. Although it would require you to use a plugin to create a hidden calculated field. 

For full disclosure I work for Adaptavist and so my go to tool of choice is Scriptrunner but there are other options out there. 

By creating a scripted field (or alternatively a listener for updates) you can store any combination of fields to then use in your swimlane JQL. 

As your example would have a reasonably low combination of settings (say 10 components and 5 priorities) the number of swimlanes should be easily manageable. However I would question how would you order these swimlanes? By priority or by component? And what happens if a ticket relates to more than one component? 

Hope this helps you with your current challenges but agree with you a more flexible approach to determining swimlanes would be beneficial. 

Phill

Marco Trosi May 4, 2022

Thank you @Phill Fox for responding.

I'm normal developer, so I don't know if I have access to Scriptrunner or scripted fields.

I would be interested in an example Querry to see what you mean.

Regarding the sorting it would be alphabetically, just like if you would for example select to create Swimlanes by "assignee".

--marco

Phill Fox
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 19, 2022

Hi @Marco Trosi 

Here are a couple of links to answer your question

https://docs.adaptavist.com/sr4js/latest/features/script-fields (for server/DC installs)

https://docs.adaptavist.com/sr4jc/latest/features/scripted-fields (for Cloud hosted)

The essence of these are that it takes information in an issue and can join it together to then create a new field with the content. Once you have that composite content in a single field you can then use that to build your JQL query.

I would suggest your first step is to have a word with your Jira administrator to see if you have Scriptrunner installed (or possibly to acquire it if not). 

Phill

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events