Estimating effort of manual test cases

DPKJ
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 30, 2020

We have some manual test cases (sanity and business related) in our system, all of them are stored as issues in Jira.

When we make a release we create test run using these test cases, and few people from QA/BA team execute them.

But we are not able to find a proper way to make estimation of these test run. We need this estimation, so that we can allocate each person proper amount of test cases during release process.

I want some suggestions and ways you all are doing this.

5 comments

Comment

Harsh Dubey June 30, 2020

Hello @DPKJ Zephyr does support execution level time tracking. In order to use that, you have to provide the original estimate to your testcase i.e jira issue. One you will add them to any cycle, it will become an execution. The created execution will have the property the total estimated time & total logged time. You can use these properties to achieve cycle level estimation rate.

Sample Screenshot:
image.png

Like DPKJ likes this
Harsh Dubey June 30, 2020

Let us know, if you are looking for some other information.

Thanks.

DPKJ
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 30, 2020

@Harsh DubeyI think I got rough idea. I'll ask question as soon as I get one.

Like Harsh Dubey likes this
José Domingues [Xray]
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 10, 2020

Hi @DPKJ

Currently, we have no specific custom fields that can serve the purpose you need to on the Test Cases. We have the "Begin Date" and "End Date", that were designed for the Test Plans and Test Executions.
Our suggestion is to create and use a specific custom field on the Test cases, something like "Story Points" from Jira.

Best Regards,

Team Xray

Like DPKJ likes this
DPKJ
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 10, 2020

Thanks for the update @José Domingues [Xray] 

Like José Domingues [Xray] likes this
Noopur Varshney _AIO Tests_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 13, 2020

Hi @DPKJ

AIO Tests for Jira provides an option to record estimated execution effort at time of creating test cases. When test cases are added to a test cycle for execution, the cycle detail page shows the total estimated effort of the cycle which can be used to assign resources at the time of cycle execution. Sample screenshot attached.

image.png

In addition to effort details, our cycle detail page is a comprehensive view of all the execution related details - status of execution, cycle details, run details, etc. all in one space.

Here is a link to our documentation -

https://aioreports.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/ATDoc/overview

If you face any issues, please feel free to contact us via

https://aioreports.atlassian.net/servicedesk/customer/portal/10

Please note, I work for AIO Support.

Regards,

AIO Support Author

Like DPKJ likes this
DPKJ
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 16, 2020

Super awesome @Noopur Varshney _AIO Tests_ 

I will connect with you on Service Desk.

Sergio Freire - Xblend
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 25, 2020

Hi @DPKJ ,

please have a look at this extensive page that details time tracking and the different possibilities with Xray.

https://confluence.xpand-it.com/display/XRAY/Time+Tracking

The easiest approach is to estimate effort at the Test Execution issue level, similarly to what you do with any issue in Jira.

I woudln't recommend estimating effort at individual test level... as you should have some level of freedom to explore the system and evaluate properly the risks.

Regards

Sergio

=======================================

Personal blog on testing, Agile and software development: https://sergiofreire.com 

Follow me on Twitter: @darktelecom

Like DPKJ likes this
DPKJ
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 29, 2020
Like Sergio Freire - Xblend likes this
Miron Ivano _Timescale_
Marketplace Partner
February 22, 2022

Well it depends on how much time it takes for the test to execute.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events