Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Epic Story Point Sum Up (count Story Points in an Epic)

Paul Cooper April 16, 2021

My goodness Automation has some quirks.

8 hours of head scratching later here is how to sum story points at Epic level after user update.

First, create a Custom Field.

System administration -> Issues -> Custom Field -> Number Field.

I called mine "Story Points Sum for Epic"

Second, create an automation that triggers when a 'Story Point' field is changed.

15d92603-3123-4959-9d4a-dabbf2344676.png
Step 1

9fa02b74-2286-4489-b1a8-20b1457bc488.png

Step 28ca436a1-4be5-41ad-b661-2fbc912fad69.png

Step 3

55118152-9c42-4f2d-a77d-98cb64362cc6.png

Step 4

7f750397-2565-4722-96c0-b63d271188c4.png

Test the Automation by changing a Story Point somewhere and check log6f34f73c-81cb-40c8-a262-3f33ea9b8035.png

2 comments

Comment

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 16, 2021

Hi @Paul Cooper 

Thanks for the nice step by step write up!  Two suggested improvements:

• If you always need the epic total to be numeric, and it is possible for the stories to all have no story points, consider adding a default value to the sum: {{lookupIssues.Story Points.sum|0}}
  • This rule works for Company-managed (formerly called Classic) projects.  When doing this for Team-managed (formerly called Next-Gen), the Story Point Estimate field would be used rather than the Story Points one.

Best regards,

Bill

Paul Cooper April 18, 2021

Thanks Bill, I will look at these suggestions and see if they improve what we are doing.

A new thing: I do need to fix the Story Points Sum for Epic field to be locked. I noticed that the field can be manually overwritten. Of course it corrects as soon as a story points in dependents update.

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 19, 2021

Paul, we have the same issue with our automation-based cycle time fields.  We address that by detecting if any of the calculated fields in the parent are edited manually, we trigger the recalc.

Maria Kazakou {Appfire} April 20, 2021

Hi @Paul Cooper and @Bill Sheboy ,

Did you know that JSU Automation Suite for Jira Workflows provides Calculated Fields capabilities on Jira Cloud?

By setting up a simple formula, you can have a field calculated for your Epic based on field values in the stories under your Epic (eg. sum of Story Points). Whenever the value of the field under your stories changes, the calculated field will be updated automatically. Plus, calculated fields are created as read-only fields.

I'm currently looking for Jira Cloud users to join my usability study for Calculated Fields and I'd be happy to schedule a call to get your feedback on our solution. If you would be interested, please DM me on LinkedIn.

Best,
Maria Kazakou
Product Manager at Beecom Products (an Appfire company)

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events