Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Edit issue (multiple fields) in new issue view - a workaround

Thomas September 7, 2021

Since the EDIT button has been removed and we can now edit all fields directly in the issue view we have been struggling with getting too many "issue edited" notifications. While this "in-view" edit is fine for small/single field changes it's not ideal when changing multiple fields at the same time.

As a workaround we have done the following and I thought I share this here in case you have the same challenge:

1. create a new screen (e.g. "<project>: Edit View") and add all fields you wish to edit

2. create a new transition in the workflow (from any status to itself) which uses the newly created screen as the transition view.

If you need to make this transition available in certain status only or restrict it to certain users, you may want to add some conditions to the transition.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,

Thomas

3 comments

Comment

Saurabh Gupta February 17, 2022

@Thomas , did you get a better workaround? I am stuck as I want to put a validator that makes sure that a status transition is accompanied by a compulsory change of assignee field.

Mindi Scott April 7, 2022

I just tried to switch to OLD VIEW permanently to specifically get around this issue of a jira going out for every single field that's changed. After I saved it, I was given a message OLD VIEW is going away the end of this month, 4/20/2022. That is a huge issue. I can't believe Atlassian expects every user of their system to use the above work around to avoid emails as well as all the other host of issues not having an EDIT button/view has (like not being able to edit fields that don't have data when it's created, and other things people brought up in Jira https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-70073 . It was started in 2018 so they've known about these issues a long time. June 18th 2021 someone commented untenable and there is nothing after that in that Jira. I just added a comment to try to raise awareness of it asking not to shut down OLD VIEW until they provide an edit view for online.) This is frustrating. Has anyone seen any updates for Edit View coming for this before end of this month when they shut down Old View? Or found a more reasonable solution than every user programming their own work around? Thanks!

huemoua September 13, 2023

I found a workaround that doesn't require transitioning the issue:

1. Search for your issue.  The simplest filter is Key = <Jira issue>
  2. At the top-right, beneath your account picture/icon, click the ellipses (i.e., 3 dots)
  3. Click Bulk change all 1 issue(s)
  4. Click the checkbox next to your issue
  5. Click the Next button
  6. Click the Edit Issues radio button
  7. Click the Next button
  8. Click the checkboxes next to the fields that you want to edit.  Also, editing the value of a field will also check the checkbox of that field
  9. By default, e-mails are not sent for bulk operations.  If desired, click the checkbox for Send mail for this update.
  10. Cilck the Next button
  11. Click the Confirm button
  12. Wait for the operation to complete
  13. Click the Acknowledge button
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events