Difference between condition and validition

srikanth chowdary May 17, 2017

Differnce between condition and validation 

3 comments

Comment

Justin Alex Paramanandan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 17, 2017

Conditions are checks that are done on the current issue status, that will decide whether a workflow transition is shown or not. For example:

• is this current user a member of the role that is allowed to execute this transition?
  • is the value of a custom field permits me to execute a transition?

Validations are checks that are done when you execute a workflow transition (usually checks are done when an associated screen is shown). For example:

• have I entered all the required fields in the workflow transition screen?
  • have I updated a field in the workflow transition screen, which allows me to progress thru a transition?
Like # people like this
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 17, 2017

In a slightly simpler terms, conditions are evaluated even before the issue is shown to the user to decide if a workflow transition is valid for the user. 

Validations happens once the workflow transition is triggered when the user submits on the workflow screen. 

Like # people like this
Kalen Brown February 1, 2018

With the conditions, the button does not appear until they are met.  With validators in the past if the field was required but is blank or something then a red asterisk appears next to the field which gives the user more feedback than the button not appearing.  If the field is not visible on the screen then what feedback is provided to the user? Anything useful?

We are running JIRA server v7.7.0.  A hybrid could also be used for validators of some things then conditions of others to hide the button until it is at least close to ready.  If more feedback is provided then I would be inclined to use validators more than hide the button so that the user is provided feedback.  Would at least help in troubleshooting advanced workflow checks when the user can't do something they want rather than them just saying they don't have the button.  The permission helper also isn't helpful with advanced workflow options when there are more options than just permissions.

Like # people like this
Jan Wilson July 2, 2019

We have moved to using validators for exactly for this purpose - to provide a custom error message as hiding the button (or more recently hiding the drop down transition in the new view) doesn't guide the user as to what the problem is and how to remedy it.

Like # people like this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events