Default Screens do you need it if each issue type as creation and edit screens?

Aaron Geister
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 19, 2019

So how do most of you do this do you create a creation screen and edit screen for each issue type and eliminate the use of the default screen? 

Right now I have creation screens so that most custom fields are only on the screen they need to be but some are populating on other screens during creation because they have to belong to the default screen. 

If we make the scheme for the creation and edit screens will that eliminate the use of the default screen?

3 comments

Comment

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 19, 2019

The default screen is used for unmapped issue operations, so if you have defined screens for create, edit and view then you do not need the default one.

I usually only define screens for create and edit and leave the default one, and in some cases I only use the default one if the project do not require different screens for the three issue operations.

Aaron Geister
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 19, 2019

Thanks for the good response.

I was gathering what you said to be correct but wanted to ask in the community to see what best practice is. I am in the process to create the edit and view screens to follow best practice. I have created the creation screens for all issue types we use and offer users. I also have the schemes set up for each issue type so I can add the edit and view screens to them. 

Thanks again I love this Community of people. 

Aaron Geister
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 25, 2019

@Mikael Sandberg 

I just want a double verification. Once you add a default screen for each issuetype screen and they all have a creation screen, edit , and view the default screen for the project can be removed. Correct? I don't want to remove the default screen for our service desk project till I am sure it won't break something. Or would it be smart to leave the Jira default fields in there just in case some are not showing on issue types I may have missed?

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 25, 2019

Correct, if you defined screens for all three issue operations you could remove the default screen.

Lora Lozano May 2, 2022

I also would like double verification. If the Create, Edit, and View Screens are all the same, is it not necessary to associate issue operations with them? Will the Default one will handle it as well as unmapped operations?

Thanks in advance.

Liz Ramsey November 14, 2023

Yes, the "Default" assignment would cover all operations, so you could remove the screen assignments for "Create", "Edit", and "View", and just use the "Default" screen, if it's all the same screen anyway!

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events