Dashboard Gadget - Title and text

Holly April 27, 2023

I really think it would be a good idea to have a gadget that is just a freetext box, so that you can write a short introduction to the dashboard for new visitors, that can be displayed somewhere within the dashboard itself.

Does this feel like something people would want? I'm hoping to get some momentum for this and then post it as a suggestion.

If, on the other hand, this already exists and I've just somehow completely missed it, please let me know.

Let me know your thoughts

3 comments

Comment

Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 28, 2023

Use this app: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1214632/rich-text-gadget-for-jira?tab=overview&hosting=cloud

It does exactly what you want and it is developed by Atlassian.

Like Holly likes this
Rick Westbrock May 1, 2023

Thanks for pointing out this app. I always wonder why Atlassian doesn't include features in the core product but makes us go install Labs apps. They did the same thing with the code macro in Confluence where in Cloud to get the same functionality we used to have in Server (or very close anyway) we had to install Better Code Macro from labs. Why not just make that part of the product?

Like Holly likes this
Holly May 1, 2023

It's good to know that exists but I expect I won't convince my company to install it. I agree with Rick, it's a shame it's not part of the basic product.

Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 2, 2023

As far as I remember, it is not part of the core product because of some security issue. I can't remember how, but in wrong hands it can be abused. (Which means that enabling this will require you trust all users who can create dashboards.)

Holly May 2, 2023

I guess that would be fair enough, but I'm really struggling to think of a way a text box could cause a security issue.

Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 2, 2023
Rick Westbrock May 2, 2023

That bug is from 2010 and for Jira Server and mentions that unsafe HTML can be rendered in whatever gadget existed at the time. I just tested the Rich Text gadget from Labs in my cloud sandbox by entering the HTML code below:

<a href="https://atlassian.com">Atlassian web site</a>

After saving the gadget that is rendered as plain text, not as HTML so at a quick glance it would seem that this gadget doesn't render HTML at all. I can still use the formatting toolbar to create a clickable hyperlink within the gadget however.

Disclaimer: I didn't test any fancy HTML so I do not claim that the gadget does not render any HTML at all so please test as you see fit to assess the risk for yourself.

Rick Westbrock May 1, 2023

I would like to see this also. The Labs app which Aron pointed out is helpful but this really should be part of the core product.

Like Holly likes this
Marlene Kegel - codefortynine
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 3, 2023

Hi @Holly,

I am Marlene, product manager at codefortynine.

If you need some more flexibility with what to display, you can try our app Easy Confluence Gadget for Jira Dashboards, which was release a few days ago.

With our app you you embed Confluence pages to your Jira dashboard.

You can download the free trial on our Marketplace page. Please note, Easy Confluence Gadget is free for instances with up to 10 users. 

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events