Best way to track cost, charges, and activity type on time entries

Deleted user March 24, 2018

Hello,

I am looking for a way to add some robustness to time tracking/work logs. Mainly we want to:

1. Have activity types - what type of time entry is this. Support, dev, implementation, research....

2. Assign cost to our teams, or team members. but would prefer a team abstraction rather than adding cost directly to every team member (~100)

3. Assign charge rates for teams/roles/team members. Preferably able to change this based on the activity.

I know Tempo could do this, but it seems like I would need to purchase at least two of their add-ons to get cost and charge rates. And then it appears to be reliant on setting up client accounts and other things in Tempo which is way overblown for my needs. 

We are currently playing with ICTime, but it only tracks price (or cost if you just pretend it says cost). I'm also struggling with database tech issues with it not calculating things correctly, not updating values after changes, etc.

I could always roll my own using custom sql tables and external reporting tools, but would prefer a pre-built solution. Any thoughts or opinions out there on this?

Thank you in advance!

1 comment

francis
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 26, 2018

Hi Justin,

Have a look at the table grid editor

You can setup a table grid reader which extracts the data from the worklogs (using specific query), combine the time spent with a hourly cost which is stored in a driving table:  the add-on allows you to maintain the content of the table.

Hope this helps

Francis

Deleted user March 26, 2018

Thank you

That looks like a rather interesting add-on that I could find a lot of use cases for. If you have an opinion, what are your thoughts on Table Grid Editor versus the newer Elements addon? I had been looking at Elements as a potential solution, but honestly Table Grid Editor seems like it may have more features that would help build a solution. 

francis
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 26, 2018

Justin,

That's really hard for me to comment on - as part of the team that is building the table grid editor, I'm biased (as you can imagine :-))

I'm sure that the add-on can implement your use case (from the first look of it).  
Give it a try and let us know.

Francis

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events