Best techniques to clean up a big Jira instance

adrien_rochereau February 11, 2018

Ok so over time we created lots of custom fields, some where deleted, some got a context added to make issues lighter,

however one thing I noticed, and that is well known, after adding a context to a field, the issue that should not have a value anymore are still present in the database.

in one case I have a project with 60k issues but 15 fields are only used on 30k issues,

how do I cleanup all the extra unusable/unwanted rows.

my main concern is that with the number of fields (around 900) the queries on the customfieldvalue table have become slower and during peak hours it is using a lot of our database processing.

I cannot find anything related to cleaning up tables or having jira do it either.

I assume a reindex is not gonna do anything as it is related to rebuilding the lucene index from the database.

Could I iterate with groovy on the issues and just do a issue save without modifying anything to force the database to clean?

2 comments

Comment

adrien_rochereau February 13, 2018

I am asking this one because customfieldvalue is the first table that is going to show in slow queries during crunch times, meaning if I can clean it, it will help the instance overall

Matt Doar
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 6, 2018

Generally its not the amount of data in a Jira database that causes performance problems. More important is the size of the Lucene indexes, particularly the main one (issues). A full reindex should reduce the size of your Lucene issues index if you have used custom field contexts to change the fields in each issue.

I don't recommend deleting rows from customfieldvalue without a full understanding of how other tables use it

Matt Doar
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 6, 2018
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events