Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best practices in JIRA for managing both design and development

Mike Kondrashin October 22, 2018

We are using Jira Cloud for our product. The complete product workflow involves many stages, but primarily:

1. Design and Specification

2. Development 

Each stage itself includes number of steps - in progress, in qa, in review, approved, etc.

This way, the designer would take item from the backlog, work on it through all the stages and once it's done - it will become a part of developer backlog. 

What is the best way to incorporate this in Jira? Please don't suggest using one board for everything, it will be huge! :D 

3 comments

Comment

Cristina June 9, 2020

Mike, did you ever solve this issue? I have the same question :) 

Luis Felipe Inurritegui August 31, 2022

@mike, @Cristina - did any of you get to solve this requierement? I'm desperately looking for options and even considering a different tool.

Rifat Anik February 8, 2023

@Mike Kondrashin @Luis Felipe Inurritegui @Cristina looking forward to solving this requirement for quite a while. Were you guys able to solve it? If not, how are you guys progressing the tasks? 

Avigail Manheim February 21, 2023

It sounds like you want to create multiple boards for data in the same project. This can easily be done. First, create the new boards, naming each board appropriately (Design and Spec; Development; etc). Under board settings, change the names of the columns to match the steps you want to appear for that stage, and map the matching statuses to the columns. All statuses that you don't want to see on the board leave on the right as 'unmapped'. Optionally, you can edit the board filter to only include the desired statuses so that nothing is unmapped.

Note that this answer assumes that you've already created a workflow that has all of the steps (known in Jira as "statuses"). If not, step 0 is to create the workflow. 

Erin Breaugh
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 1, 2023

Has anyone figured this out?  Is there any documentation available? 

Avigail Manheim December 3, 2023

Hi Erin.
Here are links to some Atlassian documentation that you can check out and see if it helps: 

Creating workflows: https://support.atlassian.com/jira-work-management/docs/how-to-create-workflows/

Creating boards: https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/guides/boards/overview#what-is-a-jira-board

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events