Assigning a ticket to a team

in jira service desk we have set up the queues for each of the teams in the business but have not found a way to assign a ticket to a team instead of an individual.

the process we run is an incident comes into triage, the service desk will checke everything and then re-assign it if it needs to move on. as we are 24/7, some people may not be working so the ticket needs to be picked up by someone else in the team. we want to assign the ticket to the team so anyone in that team can then assign it to themselves.

any ideas?

2 comments

Create a custom field listing your teams.  Leave the issue unassigned until someone in the team picks it up.

Assigning issues to groups does not work.  You open yourself up to "I thought someone else was looking at it" and in real life, that happens *every* time you allow it.  It's fine to have a "responsible group", that works really well, but you need a single current assignee, and that is what JIRA does.

Yup. "If everybody owns it, no-one owns it"

i understand the behaviours of the teams is a thing to be considered, but thats one of the reasons i am in place.

we specifically want to be able to assign tickets to a team queue instead of an individual within that team.

we have numerous teams and want tickets to show up in the relevant places.

is it possible?

Sam Hall Community Champion May 09, 2017

If you use a custom field, you can easily display the queue of unassigned tickets for each team using a filter or a dashboard.

Individuals in each teams can pick up issues from there.

This method doesn't waste user licenses and maintains clear ownership and accountablity as Nic and Matt have mentioned.

Or use it in your Service Desk queues like this:

team-responsible.png

It's pretty straight forward to set up different queues for each team and tweak the 'issues to show' for each queue so that each team only sees the issues they are responsible for.

Henning Tietgens Community Champion May 09, 2017

It's the same here and we're using "special" users for this.  All of our team users are starting with "TEAM " to make this really clear for the user and are part of the group jira-group-users. 

Each team has to accept to take care of there team users (queue, dashboard, filter subscription...) before a team user is created.

Be aware that

• these users are counting regarding your agent license if you want to use them for Service Desk projects (because otherwise they are not assignable).
  • these users could be a problem if you have security levels which enables "Assignee" to see the issue. If you assign the issue to a team user the team doesn't have access.

Comment

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

2,760 views 11 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot