An Open Source Standalone Log Analyser for Atlassian Products

Jack [AppFox]
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 11, 2018

Hi there,

I wanted to share a tool I developed over the course of a day which performs the task of the built-in Log Analyser that is bundled with all Atlassian applications (aka. Hercules).

I've open-sourced the code on GitHub:

https://github.com/jackgraves/standalone-atlassian-log-scanner

Compared to the built-in tool, it is considerably faster - a 3MB log file time was as follows:

• Support Tools Log Analyser: 6 minutes 14 seconds
  • Standalone Log Scanner (Sequential): 1 minute 48 seconds
  • Update: Standalone Log Scanner (Parallel): 37 seconds

That's an over 70% improvement!

Hopefully this tool will help other people who are providing support to Atlassian systems.

In the future, I hope to improve on the code with:

• Performance improvements (should be straightforward)
  • Integrate into a Jira Service Desk plugin which can automatically raise possible errors

If anyone has a chance to try it out, please let me know any feedback you have :).

Screenshot:

example_output_standalone (1).png

3 comments

Comment

Gonchik Tsymzhitov
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 14, 2018

Hi Jack, 

Thanks for doing very good standalone anylizer.

Do you have the plan to integrate some checkers for the plugin errors? 

Because if you extend KB for the related errors, it will be so awesome! 

Cheers,

Gonchik Tsymzhitov

Jack [AppFox]
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 14, 2018

Hi Gonchik,

That's a great idea - I don't see any reason why this cannot be implemented - provided there is a XML document published (potentially on GitHub) which follows the structure of the Atlassian-provided files from this page:

<object-stream>
<RegexEntry>
<pageName>Page Name</pageName>
<regex>Regular Expression</regex>
<URL>https://www.url-of-troubleshooting-article.com</URL>
</RegexEntry>
</object-stream>

I will add this to my backlog for this project and try to write some example definitions for the scanner.

I expect this to work by replacing the product code (e.g. "jira-core") with a URL, which will then be downloaded and used instead - this will allow plugin vendors to provide their own definition packs.

Best Regards,

Jack

Jack [AppFox]
Marketplace Partner
May 18, 2018

Hi @Gonchik Tsymzhitov

I've updated the Source Code with the suggested changes:

• Support Custom Definitions
    • e.g. Plugin/App Developers or System Administrators can provide their own definitions files (as a URL) - this enables sharing of definitions.
    • An example XML file is provided.
  • Improved Arguments
    • Uses common flags like -def=jira-core and -stream
  • Improved Performance
    • Optimised the Parallel Stream implementation.

Next, I hope to allow you to pass multiple 'definitions', such as jira-core, jira-software and several custom plugin definition files in one operation.

Best Regards,

Jack

Gonchik Tsymzhitov
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 21, 2018

Hi @Jack [AppFox]

Thank you for this opportunity!

Very good start for the admin tools development!

Cheers,

Gonchik Tsymzhitov

Pandiyan Muthuraman March 17, 2022

The above tools is scanning only for scanning atlassian-jira logs, If parse catalina logs it couldn't read. I would appreciate if enhance to support or share me open source tools to integrate with atlassian jira and scan.

Thanks

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events