Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice for naming schemes

Melanie Albrecht March 15, 2018

I'm slowly cleaning up my small JIRA instance, including consolidating config where possible. Right now I'm thinking about how I name workflow schemes. 

Do you have a standard naming system for your schemes (workflow and otherwise)?

What advice do you have?

1 comment

Comment

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 15, 2018

Actually, two schemes, sort of.

I prefer a system where projects are grouped by similarities in the way they're supposed to work.  A large system I looked after had over 1,000 projects, but only 4 development models (I'm oversimplifying a bit here).  So when someone in development said "I need a new project", we asked which one of the 4 models they needed and applied the shared scheme to them.  Each model had a very specific set of schemes, so we had things like:

• model-1-permissions
  • model-1-issue-type-screen
  • model-1-field-configs
  • model-2-permissions
  • model-2-issue-type-screen
  • model-2-field-configs
  •  and so-on.

Of course, there were exceptions.  That covered the developers, but then we had HR, Operations, Building control, etc.  These guys were not developers and needed very different schemes, but also tended to have only one or two projects each.  So we kept the scheme name simple - named it appropriately, but always prefixed with the project key.  This was in the days when changing a project key was a project in itself, not a quick "edit and reindex" like it is now.  Now I use a human descriptive prefix like HR or Operations instead of a project key.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events