Admins - what do you do all day?

Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 29, 2019

I've been my company's Atlassian admin for 7 years now, but up until recently it was just a part-time thing that I did on top of my dev work. We were a small company with fairly simple needs.

We were recently purchased by our biggest client, and now all of a sudden Jira is being opened to a much larger group. It's become a full-time job, as all of the various teams have different needs, so there's been a lot of requirements-gathering meetings, plus time spent setting up new workflows, issue types, etc. And then there's the training of users, both on Jira itself and on the specific workflows designed by team leads.

This is all well and good, but what happens when everyone is set up? How does it continue to be a full-time job? We're on cloud, so there's no server maintenance. There will of course be new users, and users leaving, and the occasional new project or update to existing workflows, but I don't see that as taking up 40 hours a week once the initial rush is over.

So I'm wondering: what do other admins do all day? Is Atlassian administration your full-time job, or is it something you do alongside your "real" job?

0 comments

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events