Upcoming - Rename ‘epics’ in your company-managed projects

212 comments

Ronke September 15, 2022

@Rohan Swami i will like to create a support case - please how do I do that? Thanks

Rohan Swami
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 16, 2022

@Ronke I've sent you a direct email.

@Nouman Riaz I've shown the summary, description and name fields below

Screen Shot 2022-09-16 at 7.40.52 pm.png

Mike Vitale September 19, 2022

Hello. I've recently noticed that when in an epic issue view, and creating a child issue, it allows me to select task, story or initiative. Initiative is the highest level in our issue type hierarchy meant to only reside above the epic, and not as a child issue of an epic. Is there any way to control this?

Like ilia kassianenko likes this
Alexandre Krammel October 7, 2022

Although it is not yet possible to create a second Issue Type as an Epic Type, it is possible to have at the Issue Hierarchy Levels (for Advanced Roadmaps), more than one Issue Type per Level.

So one of them could be the "System Epic Type" and the other ones inevitably will be of Issue/Base Type.

If I have a second Issue Type in the Level 1 Hierarchy, what kind of functionally, like Kanban Views, that would not work for this non-Epic Issue Type, that works for the only-one-Epic Issue Type? 

Multiple Level 1 Issue Types.png

Like # people like this
Sara Wortman October 17, 2022

Does Atlassian have an estimate for when in 2023 this feature will be available for Cloud users?

Like # people like this
Bharati Susarla October 24, 2022

Hello @Rohan Swami , Thankyou for the updates provided above and I am wondering if these are  now in place? Is there any way that we can speak to someone from your support team to answer questions, as we are trying to figure out how to set up hierarchies in the trial Premium version? I am finding wading through all the documentation quite time consuming and a little confusing and it would be helpful if I can speak to someone directly. Is that possible at all? Thankyou once again.

Bhish October 25, 2022

Hi, is there an issue to track the progress of these features and expected release date? This post is nearly a year old so its hard to tell what is released and what is not. The post mentions:

The name of the epic on the board and backlog will now use the epic’s Issue summary

It doesn't seem to be that this has been released yet.

Roadmap View

An additional question, will Atlassian also be releasing changes to the Roadmap view alongside the issue hierarchy customisation? It is nice to be able to have more control and create more hierarchies, but visualisations tools need to evolve in-line with this too to make the feature useful in my opinion.

Thanks @Rohan Swami 

Kate West-Walker
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 25, 2022

Hi @Sara Wortman, unfortunately we can't give any further details than 2023 at this stage. You can get information on when this feature has shipped by checking the public roadmap here: https://www.atlassian.com/roadmap/cloud??&search=epic&p=c0c344ce-98 . We'll also be sure to post here when we release the changes. We do have a beta currently available though, details here: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-articles/Upcoming-Rename-epics-in-your-company-managed-projects/bc-p/2119375#M7131

@Bharati Susarlathese changes haven't shipped just yet. Feel free to raise a support ticket to chat with one of our support team, who can give you a hand with configuring your issue hierarchy in premium.

@[deleted]we don't currently have changes to the roadmap view planned to go out with these hierarchy configuration changes.

Bharati Susarla October 25, 2022

Thankyou @Kate West-Walker 

Colton_Kosicek November 2, 2022

When is this planned to be released? I thought this was Oct 31st release but i am not able to make the configurations as these documentation shows and reflect the changes.

Tim Hargan November 2, 2022

Currently under standard I can only see Epic and Stories in Confluence when creating an issue from my pages.  Will I be able to also create other issue types in this hierarchy?  Currently I cant create subtasks etc... so this would be very useful

Stéphane Veraart November 4, 2022

Hello Rohan,

I wanted to double check the timelines for the implementation of the above mentioned functionality. I am working with a client on finding a solution for exactly these questions, but now Advanced Roadmaps in Premium doesn't even allow creating issue type levels above Epic anymore - so this seems rather the opposite direction than expected. What is the current status?

MrsTwoCats
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 8, 2022

We have a Cloud instance where we have taken advantage of this new feature (and very nice it is too!).  We have renamed Feature to Epic to take advantage of Advanced Roadmaps.

We now have to migrate projects from our Server instance where Epic are still the old Epic.  We'd planned to use the migration tool and are wondering what will happen to the Epics and Features from our Server projects as we bring them into a Cloud instance with the new feature in place.

Some advice would be appreciated.

Daniel Capizzi
Atlassian Team
November 8, 2022

Hi @Colton_Kosicek and @Stéphane Veraart, we're currently expecting to roll these changes out sometime in 2023. We'll be posting here on the Atlassian Community when we release these changes, and you can also keep an eye on the public roadmap here for information on shipping dates: https://www.atlassian.com/roadmap/cloud??&search=epic&p=c0c344ce-98

There is a beta available for customers who wish to start using some of the features described here, however there are some functionality restrictions for joining this. Details can be found here: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-articles/Upcoming-Rename-epics-in-your-company-managed-projects/bc-p/2119375#M7131

Like Stéphane Veraart likes this
Daniel Capizzi
Atlassian Team
November 8, 2022

Hi @Tim Hargan, thanks for bringing this to our attention! I've had a quick look and you will be able to create any non-subtask issue type from the hierarchy using the "Create Issue"feature in Confluence. Unfortunately it's not possible to create subtasks from Confluence

Coco S Chaussée November 10, 2022

When will the Epic Panel and Epic Link renamed?

Daniel Capizzi
Atlassian Team
November 10, 2022

Hi @MrsTwoCats, so glad to hear you've enjoyed using the beta!

I've done a bit of investigation and performed a few test runs using the Jira Cloud Migration Assistant to copy some Server projects over to a Cloud instance with a renamed Epic level, and I can confirm that you should have no issues performing these migrations. Your standard Epics from Server will be moved over to Features on Cloud and all work as expected.

Please feel free to reach out to us in the Epic Renaming Beta Community Group if you do have any issues performing these migrations and we'd be happy to help out!

Ronke November 18, 2022

Hi, @Rohan Swami please I need your help, is there a way to track when a ticket is moved back from one swim lane to the other? I mean when a ticket is pushed back from e.g UAT back to In Progress or TO DO. 

Also, I'm happy if anyone else can share. 

Thanks.

Kate West-Walker
Atlassian Team
November 21, 2022

@Coco S Chaussée we can't give a specific date just yet, but we'll be sure to update this blog when we do. Thanks for your patience! 

Kate West-Walker
Atlassian Team
November 21, 2022

Hi @Ronke - you should try watching an issue, which allows you to get email notifications when an issue is moved between statuses. If this doesn't solve it, feel free to ask a question on the community with some more details about what you're looking to do. 

Su Wainwright December 2, 2022

Hi,

We have renamed our Epics to Features and have created an Epic Level above Feature and so far it looks good, but we've hit a snag.  We're getting 'Epic Name' required, when we try to create a Feature Issue.  This is going to be very confusing for our Users as we have an Epic Issue type above the Feature which doesn't need an 'Epic name'.   

The Epic Name field is 'locked' so I can't change it.

What can we do to sort this out?

Like Kalin U likes this
Rodolfo Romero - Adaptavist December 2, 2022

@Su Wainwright

This is because the Epic changes are not completed yet. Is my understanding that the change that will merge the "Epic Name" with the "Summary" will not happen until sometime in Q1 2023. In the meantime, your users will need to deal with the 2 fields and then when the Epic changes are completed, you won't need to do that anymore.

Daniel Capizzi
Atlassian Team
December 5, 2022

Hi @Su Wainwright

Could you please confirm that your site has been enrolled in the Epic Renaming Beta? These changes haven't been made generally available just yet, so the Epic Name field will still be required on most sites.

If you have been enrolled however then this field definitely shouldn't be required, so it would be great if you could get in touch with us in the Epic Renaming Beta Community with a bit more info so we can help sort this out! Please also note though: the beta doesn't support custom hierarchy levels, so it's not possible to have a level above your "Feature" level currently.

Alex Ortiz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 7, 2022

Any updates on when this is going to be rolled out?

Like Colton_Kosicek likes this
Daniel Capizzi
Atlassian Team
December 7, 2022

Hi @Alex Ortiz, we're expecting these changes to be rolled out sometime in 2023. More updates will be provided here on the Atlassian Community as we get closer to our release date, and you can also keep an eye on the public roadmap here for up to date shipping information: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-articles/Upcoming-Rename-epics-in-your-company-managed-projects/ba-p/1874726

We currently have a beta of these features available if you'd like to try them out - you can find some more details in this comment here: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-articles/Upcoming-Rename-epics-in-your-company-managed-projects/ba-p/1874726/page/4#M7131

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events