My Top 10 Favorite Features in the New Jira Software Cloud

126 comments

Mark Thompson October 26, 2018

Thanks for the response.  Glad to hear that.

Corinne Dent
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 26, 2018

Hey @J Caldwell @Xaviar Steavenson @Jeff Audette @[deleted] @Joseph Chung Yin!

This is Corinne on the Jira Software Cloud team. I noticed each of you asked a question about when (or if) these features are coming to Server and wanted to pop in to help Jason out. While we can’t promise when/if specific features will be deployed in Jira Server, the Jira Server team is investigating and learning from customer feedback on Cloud. The plan is to balance which elements of the Cloud experience would be most valuable with our other priorities around performance, administrative control, and team productivity in Jira.

If you’re curious for more information about Server features & functionality, here are some highlights of what we've shipped recently in Jira Server & Data Center: https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/latest-version. And we'll work to make sure our naming convention makes it more clear about which deployment options are receiving which updates. Thanks so much for the feedback.

Josh Frank
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 26, 2018

@Henrik Öquist My recommendation would be to migrate when and if you feel next-gen projects meet your requirements. Classic projects aren’t going anywhere and will continue to remain the right project choice for many customers. That said, stay tuned and follow our public roadmap here – we’ll be continually updating this: https://www.atlassian.com/roadmap/jira-software. That said, there's a lot of cool stuff to take advantage of in next-gen projects when you feel it meets the requirements for your team. 

Josh Frank
Atlassian Team
October 26, 2018

@Jason Freeman and @Scott Boomer, Next-gen projects are only for Jira Software Cloud and have no impact on Jira Service Desk.

Josh Frank
Atlassian Team
October 26, 2018

@Lynn Stahl Glad you’re excited about all the new features. We’re listening to customer’s requirements when thinking about what comes next. Rest assured that Classic projects aren’t going anywhere and we know they will continue to remain the right project choice for many customers.

That said, we know how important workflows and administration can be and more of that will be coming to Jira Software Cloud's next-gen projects soon. Stay tuned for updates here on our public roadmap: https://www.atlassian.com/roadmap/jira-software

NotJoel
Atlassian Team
October 26, 2018

@Jason Campbell Hi, I work alongside Jason on Jira Software Cloud.

Next-gen projects are an alternative to the classic Scrum and Kanban projects that most of our customers use today, and nothing that you have made already will be replaced or disabled. All of your current projects can be used in the same way that they always have, but if you want to create a new project, you now have the option to use next-gen Scrum and Kanban and try out these new features. If you like the new project types, you can keep using them, or go back to your old ones. You could also use both projects at the same time if you want to give next-gen a try without your old project falling behind. Here’s a link on how to get started (https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Next-gen-articles/Getting-started-with-next-gen-projects/ba-p/914448), and thanks for dropping a line!

Shengyu Chen October 26, 2018

It'd be a lot better if you attached screens to each bullet point....

Xaviar Steavenson October 26, 2018

@Corinne Dent 

The problem here was the deceiving nature of the title and email. The email said 'Take a look at the new Jira 2.0!' and then the title 'Top features in the new Jira' -- It's not the 'New Jira' or 'Jira 2.0' it's Jira cloud 2.0' or the New Jira Cloud. If you can even call it that, as it's really a limited beta experience on cloud with some redone UX.

That quite frankly, and obviously most of us are hopeful stays in cloud. I'd rather not see any of this on server. While the UI/UX could use an overhaul -- this 'limited experience' looks like an attempt to recreate Trello and is not Jira. I can understand that cloud users are typically less resourced and need a limited/less technical experience so I'm sure it's great.

It just seems like Atlassian may have reached the point it's time to split the product names as they fork, so you don't confuse the userbase.

Corinne Dent
Atlassian Team
October 26, 2018

Hi @Xaviar Steavenson - Ah, I now understand your confusion about the naming convention. You're right, our team can do better about being more explicit about Cloud vs. Server in our content so we don't confuse our customers about what's changing and what's not. Thanks again for the feedback, we take it to heart.

We've updated the title of this article, per your feedback! 

Jason Wong
Atlassian Team
October 26, 2018

@Casey Graves & @Henrik Öquist - epics are indeed different in next-gen projects and not the same as previous epics. They are scoped to the project, meaning they don't run across projects and the parent to child relationship is a lot stronger than with the previous versions. The benefits of this will come through as we get into more advance functionality.

Note that epics in next-gen can also be renamed.

Screen Shot 2018-10-27 at 9.18.22 am.png

M
Atlassian Team
October 26, 2018

Hi @Vickey Palzor Lepcha 

Glad you figured it out. We're so pleased that you like the new next-gen projects. Which rules are at the top of your list for us to add and why? 

Jason Wong
Atlassian Team
October 26, 2018

@Samuel Engelman there is indeed a lot more to come - for visibility please check out our roadmap https://www.atlassian.com/roadmap/jira-software for example, drop down custom field and story point estimation was added this week.

Jason Wong
Atlassian Team
October 26, 2018

Hi @Sarah Pinns glad you're liking these new features! I just wanted to get back to you that these features are only for Jira Software Cloud. 

Apologies for the confusion with the previous title of the blog post - we've updated it to make it clear that it's for Jira Software Cloud.

As to when or if the features are coming to Server, that's still TBD. Note that there are also some improvements in Server that are not in Cloud, which is a reflection of some differences and priorities between Server and Cloud customers. To find out more about what's install for Server you can watch the Jira Server keynote at Summit Barcelona here.

If you're still keen on getting these features sooner, is there a chance your team might consider moving to Cloud?

Jason Wong
Atlassian Team
October 26, 2018

@Benjamin Peikes yes, we've still got some way to go with adding more advanced and powerful features to next-gen projects. There's a public roadmap here for visibility of what's coming next, but I wanted to let you know that more powerful workflow configuration, such as what you have with Classic projects, will eventually find it's way into next-gen but with a much simpler and easier way to configure them

For now, where the features you need and expect aren't available yet, please continue with your existing setups on Classic projects which won't be affected by these new projects and we'll continue to see if we can win you over as we build more capabilities into the new next-gen projects. 

There are a whole bunch of improvements we've learned from many feedback channels, and a number of the top issues on jira.atlassian.com will be considered as work on making this next version our best ever.

Jason Wong
Atlassian Team
October 26, 2018

@David Ducrest sorry to hear your experience over the past year. Can you tell me a bit more / give examples of where the improvements over the last year have been slowing down your productivity? 

Many of the features I put on the blog are only available on Jira Software Cloud's next-gen projects. You can continue to use Classic projects without any interruption. 

Jason Wong
Atlassian Team
October 26, 2018

@Brian Strickler@Lynn Stahl apologies for the delay in getting back to you. It's been a huge week for us here with the announcement.

I'm glad you love the workflow configuration in Classic projects.

Jira will never lose its workflow configuration power. More powerful workflow configuration, will eventually find it's way into next-gen and as we refresh the product we're also making workflow configuration much simpler and easier. Right now there are only a few rules, but we're working on adding more.

I'd also like to add that next-gen projects settings are what we call "project independent", which means that the project settings of one project will not impact those of others. This addresses a long running complaint where changes to one project would risk impacting others through shared configuration schemes.

We also know that the need for standardisation is very important to you and so we do have plans to introduce a way for next-gen project settings to be shared through templating that will make it much easier for you to scale and manage configuration over the many projects you have. I can't give you a time on that at this point, but please note that it is coming. Stay tuned and please keep telling us what you'd like to see in the new next-gen projects.

Jason Wong
Atlassian Team
October 26, 2018

@Alan Williams glad you asked about how this will help with scaling. Please see my comments above to Brian and Lynn regarding our future plans to introduce templating for next-gen projects to help you achieve things like consistency of fields across projects. 

Jason Wong
Atlassian Team
October 26, 2018

@Dave Furlani a few people on this thread have also requested more info about each of those items so we'll come back with some links to the various pages that go into more depth and provide visuals.

From just reading them, which ones stand out?

Jason Wong
Atlassian Team
October 26, 2018

@Jerônimo Lopes thanks for telling us your needs and what you'd like to see in the new next-gen projects.

I think what you'll find is that we'll be building more capabilities into the next-gen projects, which will then raise the demand for help with migrating over and we'll need to figure out how to make the ove easier than what we have today, which is a manual bulk operation

Jason Wong
Atlassian Team
October 26, 2018

Hi @megha_kuruvilla to move from an exiting project to next gen is still a manual process, but it is possible. Please see this comment from @Julien Femia on an article about getting started on next-gen for the steps.

Please let me know how you go.

Jason Wong
Atlassian Team
October 26, 2018

@Recruitment Bot glad you really like the new experience. See a few of my comments above - moving over is still a manual process but it is possible. We're thinking about how to make the move easier for you.

We'll take your requests onboard as we continue to improve the new epics. You'll be pleased to hear that we will be adding in the ability to change the colour of epics! You can see it tat the top of what's coming soon on our public roadmap.

Jason Wong
Atlassian Team
October 26, 2018

@גלעד כץ glad you like the new roadmaps. Moving over is still a manual process but it is possible. Please see this comment from @Julien Femia on an article about getting started on next-gen for the steps. 

Thanks to so many people on this article asking for an easier way to move from Classic to next-gen, I think it's obvious there's a lot of demand for this, so I'll be working with our team to see if we can so something sooner to make it a better experience.

When you create a project and you are only seeing Classic options by default, please look to the bottom of the screen to access the new next-gen templates. 

Screen Shot 2018-10-27 at 11.58.01 am.png

Benjamin Peikes October 26, 2018

Without a path to migrate current projects, there is no way we will ever use this new functionality.

Our “projects” dont end, they are one to one with our products. Which means we’d end up with some projects being “old” and some next gen. No orgamization can support multple workflows and toolsets.

I domt understand why “next gen” wasnt built on top of the current structure.

Basically all the work on “next gen” products has taken development time on your core product.

Can you list any benefits of “next gen” products? Are there any features thag regular projects dont have?

M
Atlassian Team
October 26, 2018

Hi @Benjamin Peikes,

We're really just getting started building out next-gen projects. We know it might not be the solution for some teams. There's absolutely no pressure to move from our classic projects to next-gen. We will continue to support both and you'll see improvements being released regularly for both. So please use the project type that works best for your team. You can watch how next-gen progresses on the public roadmap

Next-gen projects are built quite differently to classic projects. Unfortunately some of the features we've built into next-gen would have been extremely difficult or not possible to build into our classic projects. 

Check out this high level tour for a quick visual overview of next-gen projects. If I had to cover the differences in three main points:

1. Roadmaps connected to your team's work - So you can plan out the big picture with Epics. This is great for keeping the team and other stakeholders aligned. 
  2. Improved visibility and faster ways to manage your team's work - There are lots of features that add to this, but here are a top few: Creating issues in line on the board. Attached images displayed as card cover images. Code progress and status displayed on the card in the board. Add and remove rules to automate some of those mundane tasks for the team. 
  3. Simple but powerful project configuration - Add and remove board columns in two clicks. Toggle features on and off to suit your team's process without impacting other teams using Jira Software. These currently include roadmaps, backlog, sprints, reports, and estimation. You can also manage issue types, fields, and more.  

Thanks for the feedback on needing a path to migration for your existing projects. I'll take it back to the team for consideration. For the moment moving over is still a manual process. Please see this comment from @Julien Femia.

M
Atlassian Team
October 26, 2018

Thanks for the feedback @Ben Boucher. I appreciate the insight into how your team's work and we will take this into consideration as we plan out the roadmap for next-gen. 

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events