Monitoring of Atlassian applications with Prometheus

37 comments

Manmadhan Gopal September 23, 2019

Hi,

Nice article,.. Do we have plugins for Crucible/Fisheye products?

Deleted user April 4, 2020

Hello All,

Does anyone having Jira data centre because I didn't find any plugins for data centre versions on both Jira and Confluence?

Kindly help me to monitor the Jira and Confluence Datacenter Servers which have 2 nodes for each application.

Thanks in advance!

Thejeswarareddy R

Prince Richard May 8, 2020

Has anyone tried using the Prometheus JMX Exporter instead of the exporter plugins? We are trying to use the JMX exporter to directly query the JMX beans within Bitbucket Data Center.

We already setup the Bitbucket to expose the JMX beans by following the below Atlassian documentation.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/bitbucketserver/enabling-jmx-counters-for-performance-monitoring-776640189.html

We even setup Solarwinds to connect to the JMX Remote Endpoint of Bitbucket and read all the attributes.

We followed the documentation for Prometheus JMX Exporter, but is not working. 

We added the required JMX settings in the set-jmx-opts.sh file - 

JMX_OPTS="-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.port=${JMX_REMOTE_PORT} ${JMX_REMOTE_RMI_PORT} ${RMI_SERVER_HOSTNAME} -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.ssl=false -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.password.file=${JMX_PASSWORD_FILE} -javaagent:/data/jmx_exporter/jmx_prometheus_javaagent-0.12.0.jar=9110:/data/jmx_exporter/config.yml"

---
startDelaySeconds: 15
username: user
password: xxxxxx
jmxUrl: service:jmx:rmi:///jndi/rmi://hostname:jmxport/jmxrmi
ssl: false
lowercaseOutputName: false
lowercaseOutputLabelNames: false

But the JMX Exporter in 9200 endpoint is not running.

When I look in the launcher.log file, I see the below errors - 

Error opening zip file or JAR manifest missing : /data/jmx_exporter/jmx_prometheus_javaagent-0.12.0.jar
Error occurred during initialization of VM
agent library failed to init: instrument

How do we pass the javagent invocation to Bitbucket at application startup?

Regards,
Richard

Dan Koester June 30, 2020

Hi All. I am currently testing this plugin in my test environment and it looks like it gives some great data. Does anyone use the non-pro plugin in a production environment? I have a 3 node data center cluster at the moment but not sure I will have the budget to purchase this anymore this year, wondering if the free version will work for now. 

Anuradha Wishmantha September 8, 2020

Is there a way to connect BitBucket cloud and Grafana?

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 9, 2020

Hello @Anuradha Wishmantha ,

What metrics would you like to gather? Available metrics would be this ones:

• ssue:comment_created
  • issue:created
  • issue:updated
  • project:updated
  • pullrequest:approved
  • pullrequest:comment_created
  • pullrequest:comment_deleted
  • pullrequest:created
  • pullrequest:fulfilled
  • pullrequest:rejected
  • pullrequest:superseded
  • pullrequest:unapproved
  • pullrequest:updated
  • repo:branch_created
  • repo:branch_deleted
  • repo:commit_comment_created
  • repo:commit_status_created
  • repo:commit_status_updated
  • repo:created
  • repo:deleted
  • repo:fork
  • repo:imported
  • repo:push
  • repo:transfer
  • repo:updated
  • user:account_property_changed

Would it be enough for you?

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 9, 2020

@Dan Koester 

You can try the free version, though there are could be problems with your instance while upgrading or installing the app. You instance can freeze for a long period of time.

We have not found other problems so far. But you may have other problems as well.

Anuradha Wishmantha September 9, 2020

Hi @Alexey Matveev , thanks, those would do for now.
I'm also interested in monitoring repository size. Is it available as a metric?
Can you explain how I could connect Grafana and BitBucket cloud? Is there a plugin? 

Alexey Matveev September 10, 2020

@Anuradha Wishmantha 

There is no plugin for it yet. We are thinking on developing one.

Anuradha Wishmantha September 10, 2020

So as of now, there is no method to query metrics related to BitBucket cloud is it?

@Alexey Matveev 

Markus November 19, 2020

@Prince Richard 

If you are still trying to get the jmx_exporter up and running. I have it currently configured for Confluence:

add a line in set-env.sh and make sure the jar and config file are readable by the confluence user

CATALINA_OPTS="-javaagent:/opt/jmx_exporter/jmx_prometheus_javaagent-0.14.0.jar=9898:/opt/jmx_exporter/generic_tomcat.yml ${CATALINA_OPTS}"

Ramadas M August 28, 2022

Markus

can you share the  your bitbucket grafana/prometheus gradhboard json file & generic_tomcat.yml file as well.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events