Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Team of engineers on Jira software, working with non-engineers on jwm?

K allen
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 3, 2022

Hello!   haven’t found any information similar to what I’ve been trying to evaluate, and somehow my team has been having a hard time evaluating this also.

It seems like it would be a relatively standard question.  That is: i have a team of engineers who are now spun up on Jira software.  I also have teams that are not lead by engineers, not doing technical work, for whom i think that jwm would be better.

However, if i get them the jwm product, will their product be able to interface with the engineers?  For instance, could engineers send tasks to my operations folks?  Could operations folks involve engineers on their tasks?

Would trello be a better option?

Are there any details here i don’t know to ask about?  Thanks in advance for any help.

c

2 answers

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 3, 2022

Hi @K allen  - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Without knowing specifics of how those would be shared, yes, you should be able to have JWM projects for non-engineers be able to share information with your engineering tasks in Jira software. 

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 3, 2022

Trello might be a better option, it depends on the processes you want tasks to follow.  But the items you track in there will not be in the same system as the issues in the Jira system, and if you want them to work seamlessly together, you'll need to hook up some form of duplication and update integration between them.

A better option is for everyone to use a single system.  Just think of your engineers and non-engineers as "people who need to track issues", and give each team (or product, or product area, or process etc) its own project.  Then allow all of them to see and maybe interact within all the projects. 

You can easily do things like: We have an operations project, which the operations people can all create, update and transition issues in, but the engineers can only comment on or become watchers on.  Or be assigned issues, but can't move them through the process and and and.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events