Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Start date won't automate (subtasks)

Emma Hecht October 12, 2022

I'm working on automating start dates for subtasks and no matter what smart key or date I use (see examples below), when I create the issue, the subtask's start date remains blank.

Full automation layout:

Screen Shot 2022-10-12 at 12.17.54 PM.png

Start date automation attempts:

Screen Shot 2022-10-12 at 12.03.50 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-10-12 at 12.06.49 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-10-12 at 12.04.11 PM.png

Blank start date after I attempt to automate:

Screen Shot 2022-10-12 at 12.00.11 PM.png

Has anyone else experienced this, and is there a fix? Ideally, I would like to automate the start date using the business days smart key. Thanks so much!

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 12, 2022

Hi @Emma Hecht - Your smart value looks correct. Is Start Date available on the Create screen for the Sub-Task issue type?

@Mark Segall  So sorry — accidentally posted as a new answer! But, to keep in thread:

Yes, I created a random subtask under an issue in this project and it has the Start date field available.

Screen Shot 2022-10-12 at 12.51.34 PM.png

Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 12, 2022

I've seen a couple fields that don't like being populated by the UI.  Perhaps try using the More Options section and copy/paste this:

{
"fields": {
"customfield_xxxxx": "{{now.plusBusinessDays(1)}}"
}
}

xxxxx = the custom field ID for Start Date

Hopefully this works

@Mark Segall 

I don't know if Start date is a custom field? It doesn't appear to have a custom field ID or be called a custom field in the Developer Tools panel. 

Screen Shot 2022-10-12 at 1.39.01 PM.png

The Start date custom field ID isn't appearing when I search for "customfield" in the code either. I'm thinking this field is one Jira has set up, which links to the timeline and calendar views so that you can see the visual length of your tasks in Work Management.

Ideally, I would like to use the Jira-created "Start date" instead of creating a custom start date field so that it will link to those calendar and timeline views to create a visual timeline of the tasks.

Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 12, 2022

Correct that Jira creates it, but it is still a custom field.  If you're a Jira Admin, you can find it here:

https://YOURINSTANCE.atlassian.net/secure/admin/ViewCustomFields.jspa?page=1&searchFilter=start%20d

Then if you click the ellipses to the right and View Field information, you'll see the ID in the URL 

@Mark Segall 

This worked! Thank you SO much — I've been trying to solve this forever! :) 

Like Mark Segall likes this
0 votes

@Mark Segall 

Hi! Yes, I created a random subtask under an issue in this project and it has the Start date field available.

Screen Shot 2022-10-12 at 12.51.34 PM.png

Marvin Hong November 7, 2022

Could you show how to creat automation rule?

Emma Hecht November 8, 2022

Hey @Marvin Hong —

This is the automation I used to create the subtask with the start date (description in screenshot). Hope this helps!

Screen Shot 2022-11-08 at 10.18.01 AM.png

Example code for start date:

{
"fields": {
"customfield_10015": "{{now.plusBusinessDays(1)}}"
}
}

Jira Smart Values with Dates Guide

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events