Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restricting Field Visibility in List View for Company Managed Projects

Muhanned Shahada February 26, 2024

Hello Everyone! 

I'm facing a challenge with field configuration in a company-managed project environment and would greatly appreciate any insights or solutions you might have.

In our JWM setup, we utilize shared settings, workflows, and custom fields across multiple projects for consistency and ease of management. However, occasionally, we need to add a project-specific field that isn't relevant to other projects.

After adding such a field, I update its context to make it specific to the intended project, effectively limiting its applicability. This approach works well in principle, but we've encountered a user experience issue that undermines this configuration.

Issue Encountered:
Even after setting the field context to a specific project, the field's addition button (+) remains visible in the top right corner of the list view table across all projects, not just the one it's intended for. This visibility leads to confusion, as users might attempt to add this field to unrelated projects, creating unnecessary clutter and potential data integrity issues.

What I've Tried:

Adjusting the field context from global to project-specific, expecting this to limit the field's visibility and addition option to the designated project.
Searching through project settings and field configurations for additional restrictions or visibility settings that might address this issue.
Questions:

-Is there a way to ensure that a field, once set to be project-specific, does not show up or offer an addition option in the list view of other projects?
-Are there additional settings or configurations I might have overlooked that can help achieve this level of granularity in field visibility and interaction?
-If direct configuration changes can't resolve this, are there workarounds or best practices for managing field visibility in a company-managed project setup to prevent user confusion and maintain data integrity?

1 answer

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 26, 2024

Hello @Muhanned Shahada 

What worked for me was to remove the fields from the Screens used by the project.

Muhanned Shahada February 26, 2024

Hello @Trudy Claspill 
Thanks for the response, i am not sure how is this solving the problem though, would you elaborate more. 

My problem is that let us say every time i create new project, i add 6 custom fields, 3 of them are shared across different projects because they are standard values, another 3 are unique values to that specific project, what is the best way to do it?  without having to copy schemes and customise screens everytime i create a project.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 26, 2024

Hello @Muhanned Shahada 

You said you did not want some fields to be available from the Add Fields option in the List view for a JWM project. 

What I found was:

1. Defining a limited Context for the field doesn't hide the field from the Add Fields option.
  2. Setting the field as Hidden in the Field Configuration doesn't hide the field from the Add Fields option.
  3. Removing the field from Screens used by the issue types in the Project does hide the field from the Add Fields option.

I don't know why it works that way. I just know that it worked. This would require you to create custom screens for the projects, and custom screen schemes and issue type screen schemes.

Given that you are a Site Admin for a paid Jira subscription you could contact Atlassian support directly for an explanation.

https://support.atlassian.com/contact/#/

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events