Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jira Work Management - team managed projects?

Josh Allen January 7, 2022

Are there any plans to have both Company Managed and Team Managed projects in the Jira Work Management world similar to Jira Software? 

We use Jira Software, but I really really want calendars and list view, however, I'm not willing to take the leap to JWM because I want teams to take ownership of creating and administering their projects (team managed) rather than having to administer them with ridiculous amounts of permissions schemes as it is in company managed.

I wasn't able to find an open ticket on this, so would be happy to follow one if anyone has a link.

4 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
roto
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 9, 2022

Hi @Josh Allen , 

@Jack Brickey  is correct, JWM supports both Company Managed and Team Managed projects and we are currently in the middle of the rollout to all the instances. You might not be able to use it yet since we are only at partial rollout at the moment and your instance might not have been included at the moment. 

Hopefully this clarifies any questions you have!

Cheers, 

James

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 9, 2022

Thanks for setting this straight @roto I was conflicted by what I was observing.

Like roto likes this
1 vote
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 7, 2022

Hi Josh,

To the best of my understanding and knowledge TMP does exist in the JWM world. Quick check of the documentation would seem to support that - https://support.atlassian.com/jira-work-management/docs/what-are-team-managed-and-company-managed-projects/ 

Please note that I don't use JWM stand alone is it is inherently built into JSW.

Maybe I am not understanding your question or point?

Josh Allen January 7, 2022

This is very interesting Jack. It seems to me this article is poorly worded.

"Projects in Jira Work Management can be created as either team-managed or company-managed projects."

I have not found that in JWM you can create a team managed project, at least the type that I want with a calendar and list. 

Perhaps there are project types in there that are team managed, however, I have gone through every single project template in JWM to find out and doesn't seem to be the case.

Seems the sentence is incorrect, though if there are TMP it should be written more like:

"Projects in Jira Work Management can be created as either team-managed or company-managed projects, depending on the type you select. Not all JWM projects can be team-managed."

Screen Shot 2022-01-07 at 12.46.34 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-01-07 at 12.46.47 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-01-07 at 12.50.36 PM.png

Like # people like this
0 votes
Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 7, 2022

Hi @Josh Allen

to the best of my knowledge, you're right that JWM is based on company-managed projects only, and I personally haven't heard of any plans to make JWM available for team-managed projects.

One thing to consider is that a lot of views and capabilities are also available via the Atlassian Marketplace. These are then typically compatible with all project types, including JSW-based team-managed projects.

As examples, if you're looking for a calendar view, you could check out Calendar for Jira. If you're looking for an interactive list/table view on your issues, you might like JXL for Jira. There's also a number of Form apps but I haven't tried them myself.

E.g., here's a quick preview of how JXL looks in action:

status-change.gif

(Disclaimer: I work on JXL :))

Hope this helps!

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 7, 2022

@Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira 

So you can’t create a TMP Business project? A business project is the target template of JWM. I need to try that. I rarely work with TMP. 

Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 7, 2022

@Jack Brickey I believe you can't - I also just tried it myself. It is also (sort of) implied by Chase's statement here:

[...] company-managed projects (which are the foundation of Jira Work Management)

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 7, 2022

Well... indeed that is the case. I just played with the new template interface and, while when creating a new SW project you have a step where you select the project type, there is no step to choose project type.

I find this quite odd TBH. I would have assumed that Atlassian would go hard to the hoop on JWM w/ TMP. I am intrigued to learn more on the reasons and plans.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 7, 2022

No, you definitely cannot create a team-managed project as JWM. JWM is a separate product and project type. There is Jira Service Management, Jira Software, and JIra Work Management. Inside of Jira Software there is TMP and CMP, but not related to JWM. 

Like # people like this
jtblin ︎
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 10, 2022

Team-managed projects are currently being rolled out to JWM and will be available for all JWM users soon.

Like # people like this
Amanda Rae May 11, 2022

@jtblin ︎ @John Funk is there an updated forum or thread with this update on Team Managed Projects with JWM? Interested in any direction for operations based teams.

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 7, 2022

Hi Josh,

I am not aware of any plans to add the JWM functions into Jira Software projects (team-managed or company-mananged). I think they want that to be one of the draws to using JWM. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events