Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to share the Jira Work Management timeline publicly?

Michael Everts February 16, 2024

I am using Jira Work Management to organize GTM tasks for my organization.

The problem is that only the teams that have access to Jira can see the timeline. My marketing teams have access to Confluence and when I try to embed the page inside a confluence article they still are not able to access the timeline.

Does anyone have any idea how to better share the timeline to people within my org?

2 answers

0 votes
Maria
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 18, 2024

Hi @Michael Everts 

It's Mary from Planyway timeline for Jira

To share your Jira Work Management timeline with your marketing teams who primarily use Confluence, and to overcome the access restrictions, you can consider the following approaches:

1. Export and Embed as Static Images

• Approach: Regularly export your timeline as an image or PDF from Jira and embed these static images into your Confluence page. This method is simple but doesn't provide real-time updates.
  • Steps: Use the export or screenshot feature in Jira Work Management to capture your timeline, then upload the image or PDF to Confluence.
  • Pros: Easy to implement, no access issues.
  • Cons: Not dynamic, requires manual updates.

2. Use Confluence Macros for Dynamic Updates

• Approach: Although directly embedding live Jira timelines might be restricted due to access control, you can use Confluence macros designed to display Jira issues dynamically.
  • Steps: Use the "Jira Issues" macro in Confluence to create a dynamic list or report that can reflect aspects of your timeline. While it won't show the timeline graphically, it can present the scheduled tasks and statuses.
  • Pros: Dynamic and automatically updates, respects Jira permissions.
  • Cons: Doesn't visually replicate the timeline.

3. Grant Confluence Users Limited Jira Access

• Approach: Adjust your Jira permissions to grant the marketing team limited access. This can be a more complex solution, requiring careful permission management to ensure they only see what they're supposed to.
  • Steps: Consult your Jira admin to create a specific role or group for the marketing team with restricted access that allows them to view the timeline without altering it.
  • Pros: Direct access to live timelines.
  • Cons: Requires careful permissions management, might have licensing implications.

4. Utilize Reporting Plugins

• Approach: Explore the Atlassian Marketplace for plugins that offer advanced reporting features. Some plugins are designed to bridge the gap between Jira and Confluence, offering more sophisticated ways to display Jira data in Confluence.
  • Steps: Search for plugins that fit your needs, taking into account their cost and functionality. After installing a suitable plugin, follow its documentation for embedding Jira data into Confluence.
  • Pros: Flexible and potentially powerful integration.
  • Cons: May incur additional costs, requires setup and maintenance.
0 votes
Ivan Lima
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 16, 2024

The timeline view's visibility is restricted to authorized users within your project in JWM; even when embedding it, it still checks against JWM permissions. Although may not be ideal, would export it work?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events