Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a rule that reminds when a task is near the start date?

Glaucia Jourdain July 12, 2023

Hello Atlassian friends, 

I am new to JMW, so JQL and smart values are not my expertise. My rule on "send reminders when task is near start date" failed. I believe I didn't get the JQL smart values correctly. I should also mention I used a due date rule as base for this rule. Please advise. 

numberOfDaysBeforeStartInclusion

startdate <= endOfDay({{numberOfDaysBeforeStartInclusion}}) AND statusCategory != done AND assignee != empty

Startdate <= endOfDay({{numberOfDaysBeforeStartInclusion}}) AND statusCategory != done AND assignee = {{distinctAssignee}} 

Atlassian.PNG

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 13, 2023

Hello @Glaucia Jourdain 

Welcome to the Atlassian community.

Please show us the details of the Create Variable step where you are defining numberOfDaysBeforeStartInclusion.

Please show us the Audit Log details for an execution of the rule where you did not get the results you expected.

Exactly what results do you expect, and what results actually occurred?

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 24, 2023

Hello @Glaucia Jourdain 

Are you still needing assistance with this Automation Rule?

If so, can you provide us with the additional information I requested?

Glaucia Jourdain August 28, 2023

Hello @Trudy Claspill I was on annual leave, sorry for the delay. I hope it is ok to pick this conversation up were we left. Ill send over the details requested. Thank you. 

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 28, 2023

Hello @Glaucia Jourdain 

The rule for Due Date works because Due date is a special built-in field in Jira. It can be referenced in JQL using either "Due date" (the field name you see when viewing the issue details) or duedate. For most other fields you need to make sure that the name you use in JQL matches what you see when you view the issue.

This message

Screen Shot 2023-08-28 at 3.58.43 PM.png

indicates you have not chosen the correct field name for using your start date field as criteria for the JQL statement.  Usually this will be the name of the field that you see when you are viewing the issue.

Example:

Screen Shot 2023-08-28 at 4.00.31 PM.png

If the field name has a space in it, like in this example, then you need to put it into quotes. 

Example:

"Start date" <= endOfDay(.....

Try making that change and see if that helps.

Like Glaucia Jourdain likes this
Glaucia Jourdain August 31, 2023

Hello @Trudy Claspill thank you for your reply.

I changed now the field in Look up issues to:

"Start date" <= endOfDay({{numberOfDaysBeforeStartInclusion}}) AND statusCategory != done AND assignee != empty 

Is it what you suggested? please see prints of the the rule and details bellow. 

rule detail 2.PNGrule detail.PNGwhole rule.PNG

Please let me know. 

Many thanks in advance. 

Glaucia J. 

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 31, 2023

The exact change you make depends on the start date field in your system.

When you view an issue, what exactly is the label for your start date field? In my case it was "Start date". In your system it may be different. You need to use the label/field name that is correct for your system.

If "Start date" is the label you see for your start date field, then the changes you made are correct.

Glaucia Jourdain August 31, 2023

Hi @Trudy Claspill Yes "Start date" is how it is in my board as well. I set some issues to start on Monday as test. Ill post here the results. Thanks and have a great weekend. 

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 4, 2023

Looking at the image you posted it appears that there is a Lookup Issue action that is using "Startdate" instead of "Start date", so the Lookup Issue action is still failing.

Screen Shot 2023-09-04 at 3.40.59 AM.png

Glaucia Jourdain September 4, 2023

@Trudy Claspill OK thanks, and how about the variable value? please advise.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 4, 2023

There is nothing wrong with the variable. You can see in the message that your variable has been converted to "1" in the endOfDay function.

Glaucia Jourdain September 5, 2023

That is good news then, thank you. Also, the rule now works, see the audit log bellow rule sucess.PNGThis completes my quest. 

@Trudy Claspill Thank you very much for the support. 

Wish you the best.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 5, 2023

I'm glad I could help.

If you issue has been solved please consider clicking the Accept Answer button on my answer.

0 votes
Glaucia Jourdain September 4, 2023

Hello @Trudy Claspill

The rule still is not working properly yet, the JQL did not bring the issue up on the email notification. I have got a notification that an issue is due to start but no link to the issue itself. I had made changes only in the JQL look up to state "Start date" at the begging for the formula but had not changed anything on the variable value. Any thought?

I suspect the variable value is wrong, as this value appears in every JQL look up: the value is numberOfDaysBeforeStartInclusion, shouldn't it be or numberOfDaysBefore"Start date"Inclusion ?

Any thought? Thanks

variable.PNGvariable 2.PNG

0 votes
Glaucia Jourdain August 28, 2023

As I mentioned before, I am new at this and my goal is to have a rule that sends a reminder emails when a task is near its starting date. I created this rule follows the steps of the well functioning "When a task is near due → send email reminder" rule. However the starting date rule fails every time. See bellow snip shots of details of the Create Variable step numberOfDaysBeforeStartInclusion defied as smart value 1, Audit Log details for an execution of the rule where you did not get the results I expected and results do you expect successively. I hope you can use these info. Looking forward hearing back from you.  Thanks.

solution 1.PNG

Error 1.PNGSuccess.PNG

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events