Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to create a project board template, complete with epics, tasks & subtasks?

Sherri Queen May 23, 2024

We manage several projects for different customers, so we have many different project boards. However, most of our projects have the same epics, tasks, and subtasks. Is there a way to create a project board template where we could just plug in the start/finish dates and assignees for each of the different projects? That way we could generate different timelines for each project with the necessary resources. 

Note: This is in a "Team-Managed" environment. Maybe this affects the ability to create a template. 

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 24, 2024

Hello @Sherri Queen 

Company Managed projects allow you to share project configurations, such as screens, workflows, fields, and permissions settings, but do not natively give you a method to set up a "template" that includes issues and copy them in bulk to make a new Jira Project.

A potential solution would be to create a dummy project that has the issues in it. Then manually create a new, empty project. Then develop an Automation Rule to copy all the issues, creating a new set of those issues in a new project you have already created. You could set the rule up with a manual trigger that would enable you to prompt for the destination project, the start/finish dates, and assignees, and modify the new issues created to use those values as part of the automation.

With regard to generating Timelines, that depends on your subscription. In a Standard Subscription there is a basic Timeline feature available automatically with each single-project board. That reads the information from the board so no additional setup is necessary. But if your are talking about creating a Timeline as part of an Advanced Roadmaps Plan that is part of a Premium subscription, I don't believe that type of plan/timeline creation can be automated.

Sherri Queen June 4, 2024

Thank you Trudy! I appreciate your answer. It was very helpful.

0 votes
Clara Belin-Brosseau
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 24, 2024

Hello @Sherri Queen,

If you're willing to use a third-party application, I can suggest trying our app Elements Copy & Sync that allows you to copy issues with all their content (summary, description, custom fields, comments, attachments, etc.) and their child issues.

You’ll be able to create a project template with epics, tasks and subtasks along with predefined assignees and dates.

Don't hesitate to try our app, it's free during 30 days and stays free under 10 users.

Kind regards,
Clara

Thanks, Clara but I'm not sure we can use a third-party app in our current system. I appreciate your answer.

Like Clara Belin-Brosseau likes this
0 votes
Luka Hummel - codefortynine
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 24, 2024

Hi @Sherri Queen

Team-managed projects over no possibility to share project configuration or to easily replicate the configuration in Jira. If you are willing to try a third-party app, you could take a look at our Deep Clone for Jira.

This app allows you to clone entire projects, including all issues (epics, tasks, and subtasks), and can even clone configurations. You can specify fields to update during the cloning process, such as start/finish dates and assignees, with the Field Editor feature. With the Advanced Project Clone feature configured, this also works for team-managed projects, with the small limitations that it can't clone the board configuration of team-managed projects.

Sherri Queen May 24, 2024

Can someone tell me if it possible to create templates for projects, epics, and tasks in a company-managed Jira project board?

Thank you for your help, Luka. I am not sure that my current system will allow third-party apps at this time.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events