How does this work with Jira?

Jim Holmes September 20, 2021

I'm a creative forced into using Jira - the software team use it - but I was hoping that the Management Tool might give me more of a visual overview ( like Monday or 10,000 feet?) I can't work out how/if the Management tool links to the actual Jira?

Is this a common request?

Thanks

1 answer

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 20, 2021

Hi Jim - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Hopefully, you will come to love Jira at some point.   :-)

Jira Work Management is just another type of project in Jira like Jira Software projects and Jira Service Management projects. But JWM is aimed more at Business functions in your organization like accounting, HR, marketing, etc. 

But it definitely links to the other Jira projects as well. What exactly are you hoping to do? Or how are you wanting to use it? 

Thanks John - I was hoping that I could link to the Jira cases and subtasks that are created by the devs and use the JWM as my visual to-do / task progress / scheduling / overview tool on the Jiras that need marketing/design input..

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 20, 2021

Yes you should be able to use the link issues function to link any issues you create in your JWM project with the issues in their software project.

Thanks again John. I think I need to get my head around Jira and some of the terminology it uses before I'm going to have a hope of getting this to work for me. It's just not a very ( to me ) user friendly experience..

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 20, 2021

Yeah, it's a powerful tool, but with that comes some less intuitive things. Let us know how we can help you. 

Like Jim Holmes likes this

Another quick query: If I log in to my company Jira account - I can't see any workflow management tool - how do I get to that from the main Jira page?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 20, 2021

You will need to be a Jira Administrator to be able to edit workflows. 

But the gist of it is, go to Settings (the gear icon in the top navigation bar) then select Issues. If you don't see Issues, then you don't have Jira Administrator permissions.

Then you go to Workflows (if you do have the permission).

Ok thanks.

Like John Funk likes this
Jim Holmes September 21, 2021

Me again! Our version of Jira is server based - will JWM still work/integrate with it?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 21, 2021

Ah, there is no JWM in the server version, it is Jira Core server, but does not have all of the fancy new features - and won't. 

Are you wanting to connect your JWM project in Cloud to your issues in your Jira Server version? 

Jim Holmes September 21, 2021

Yes that's what I was hoping to do - is it possible?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 21, 2021

Personally, I have not done it, but I hear it is possible. Take a look at this document to see if the guidance works:

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/link-an-issue/

It will take some work from your Jira admins. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events