what actions trigger bell notifications?

andy dingfelder January 29, 2020

I have users that want to get notifications of changed issues under the bell notification area on chrome (desktop).

When I look at the admin notification schemes, all I see are email notifications.

How can I control what sends alerts to the bell?

3 answers

1 vote
Yatish Madhav
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 12, 2021

Hi - I would like to know if there is a possibility of customizing or tweaking the notifications under the bell icon on the top right too. Thank you. Yatish

0 votes
Hannah McKenzie
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 29, 2020

Hi @andy dingfelder, welcome to the Community!

If you go to your profile > Jira settings > Manage your account > Products > Click on your instance, you can change whether or not you're notified of your changes. 

andy dingfelder January 30, 2020

I assume you are referring to profile notification settings - and this is just how to configure what emails you get...

In this case, they are already getting emails for all events, its just sidebar/bell type notifications we are looking to configure

Like Noah Hofmann likes this
Hannah McKenzie
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 2, 2020

Hi @andy dingfelder, ah yes, you are correct - apologies, I mistakenly believed that option was referring to in-app notifications rather than emails. Unfortunately, there isn't a way to customize in-app notifications at this stage. We'll continue to take feedback onboard for potential future feature implementations.

Like # people like this
Fothergill, Nathan November 19, 2020

I also would like this option.

I've missed important updates due to there being too many emails, so I turned it off.
I'd like the bell to have counter on it, so I can see what is going on.

Like # people like this
0 votes
Lenin Raj
Atlassian Team
January 29, 2020

Hi @andy dingfelder 

When you say "bell notifications" do you mean the bell icon in the left sidebar? All notifications such as mentions, updates on issues you are watching etc., will appear in this notifications list.

andy dingfelder January 30, 2020

Yes that is the area I meant - is there an official name for that notification functionality (as opposed to email notifications)?

The user I am reporting this for said that they do not get sidebar/"bell" notifications in this area for added comments on issues they are watching, but they do get email notifications.

They do get other sorts of sidebar/bell notifications, just not for comments on watched issues 

Like Tim Brook likes this

Suggest an answer