restrict the view of System Administrator

André K. March 7, 2018

Is it possible to restric the view of System Administrator to Projects and Issues etc.?

- by core
- by add-on

Why?: System Admin could be a external service provider, and customer have some internal Projects. The customer don't' want that the external SP see the content/Issues of the Projects.

have a nice day.
best
André

2 answers

0 votes
Nguyen Tran
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 7, 2018

Hi André,

I personally haven't tried this but I think what you can do is set issue security level on your issue. Then use this article to restrict your external SP so that they won't be able to access the Issue-security setting so they can't add themselves on the security level and see the issues.

Or you can take away their permission to browse project and issues and restrict their access to the JIRA admin interface so they can't put themselves back in.

Can you tell me how it goes after trying it?

Good luck.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 8, 2018

I am afraid this will not help.

An admin can always change the security schemes, project membership and permissions.  That's their job.

Nguyen Tran
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 8, 2018

The kb article said that you can limit access to the admin interface which mean you will be able to limit access to Security schemes, permission schemes and other stuff if my thinking is correct.

But now that I think about it the other party is a system admin which means he will have root access to the configuration file.

0 votes
Craig Castle-Mead
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 7, 2018

Hey Andre,

While you can take the admin group's permissions away from the permission scheme, this will only mean that the user won't see the project or the issues from the standard user interface ( eg: jira.company.com/secure/BrowseProjects.jspa ), as a system admin, the user would be able to see all projects, edit their permission schemes/roles and grant themselves permissions, so there is no way to ensure they CANNOT get access to specific projects/issues.

CCM

Suggest an answer