"Invalid project key, Project key must be no more than 10 characters long."

Wakil BENAMOUR June 1, 2022

Hello everyone,

I have a problem... I am importing a project from an external jira into my company's jira with a CSV file.

I filled in the "Map fields" part, but when I click on next I get this error message "Invalid project key, Project key must be no more than 10 characters long."

I would like to know how I could solve this problem? It's the first time I import a project on Jira.

thanks for your feedback :)

3 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Djiga Sene June 2, 2022

It's possible to increase the maximum size of the project key. But size 10 is recommended. 

Go to Settings in General Configurations, click on Edit Settings and increase option size Maximum project key size.

Wakil BENAMOUR June 3, 2022

Hello Djiga ! 

Thank you very much I just tested and it works !

Thank's a lot !

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 1, 2022

This is what it says it is.

Project keys on more recent Jra systems are limited to 10 characters.

You'll need to swap to a 10- scheme for your project keys.

Hello Nic ! 

thank you for your answer, I did the manipulation and it works thanks again!

0 votes
Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 1, 2022

Hello @Wakil BENAMOUR ! Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

What's the value of your Project key?  Can you tell from the CSV file?

Wakil BENAMOUR June 1, 2022

Hello Robert ! thank you :) 

Here is the project key DAI1GRIDADVTG, and I have this error message :error project jira.PNG

"Invalid project key DAI1GRIDADVTG : Project key must be no more than 10 characters long."

And concerning the CVS file i don't know if i can modify it and put another project key? or the file might be corrupted? and if so how should i proceed?

sorry for these stupid questions but it's the very first time I do this manipulation :/

Thank You Robert ! 

Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 1, 2022

What was the project key on the old instance?

Hello Robert

thank you i found the answer to my question everything works now :)

Suggest an answer