proper way of archiving old issue in a project.

Mustafa Yalniz March 7, 2018

Hi,

We need to archive old issues in one project. Could you please suggest a proper way of doing this. Not all issues in project just subset of issues.

I know a way to move these in a temporary project and then archive but without this, could you suggest another possible way.

Thanks,

Mustafa

1 answer

0 votes
Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 7, 2018

Hi Mustafa,

a good solution for you depends on a few things you have to think through and your users as well. Do you still want to access the issues for example and want them to be searchable? You could use a specific status for archived issues and exclude them from filters, use a custom field as indication for an archived status or use issue level security to get rid of them for most of the users. Just to mention some possibilities.

Best, Max

Hi Max,

Thanks. I actually want to take those subset of issues in a project offline. So, I just will archive and remove so my number of issues reduces. I do not want to create a permission scheme, status or issue level security as in that case those will consume resources during search, etc.

Thanks,

Mustafa

I see that there is online archiving in following explanation https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver071/archiving-a-project-802592917.html

Does hiding a project helps in improving performance as I think the project issues are still in database.

Thanks,

Mustafa

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 8, 2018

It helps a little because one of the big performance things in Jira is permissions.  "Can't see whole project" is the second fastest permission check, so hiding a project makes Jira skip a whole pile of processing when it's doing permission checks.

Suggest an answer