jiradb user privileges and jiradb owner

massimovirgilio December 9, 2016

I followed the guide on how to install JIRA 7.2 server

From the section create jira postgres database, it says to create a jiradb user and a jiradb database, but it does not specify which user should the owner of the database and which privileges the user should have on the db.

Currently in my setup the jiradb user has only login access privileges and the jiradb owner is root (postgres) with full access obviously.

It seems to work atm, but I just wanted to be sure this is the correct way

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 9, 2016

The defaults for postgres are good - when you create a dedicated user with its own database, it'll have all the access it needs.  You'll find jiradb doesn't just have login though, it'll have the full set of create, update, insert, delete, index etc etc etc

massimovirgilio December 9, 2016

Hi thanks for the reply but I didn't understand what you mean.

Should I set the jiradb database owner as jiradbuser?

Do I need to grant jiradbuser the "create database" privileges or only "can do login"?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 9, 2016

JIRA would not be working if the user did not already have the right priviliges.  So what I think you have done is created the user and database by the usual default method.  Your jiradb user does not have "just login", it has full access to the database.

Suggest an answer