how to import values for dropdown field?

Karen December 14, 2022

We are moving from Rally to Jira and I want to create custom fields in Jira that will have values that we currently use. Is there a way, through an API or other interface, that I can populate these dropdowns? Adding values one at a time from the UI will be very time consuming

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Sid Pathirana
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 14, 2022

Hi @Karen Gwynn - if you want to do this using the built-in "External System Import" feature in Jira, then I think your CSV file needs to have each option for the <Application Area> field in a different row; your example file seems to have all the import values on the same row.

Header: Summary,Application Area,Application Area,Application Area
Row: Sample Issue,Account Administration,APIs & ODBC Views,Archive Feature for DCB Objects

The steps I follow for bulk uploading into a single-select dropdown field is:

1) Create the custom field in Jira and manually add one of the required values (or a dummy value) to the list of options.

2) Prep the CSV file containing all the other values you want to bulk import, eg:

Capture1.JPG

3) Import the CSV file using the "External System Import" feature under Settings > System > Import and Export

Capture2.JPG

Example of the dropdown list with the imported values:

Capture3.JPG

Karen December 15, 2022

That worked! I think the thing I was missing previously was to create at least one value in the custom field before importing.

Thanks so much! This will help us tremendously

Like John Funk likes this
Wojciech Śwituła October 6, 2023

In my case in the CSV file instead of the field name itself I had to add -> Custom field ("fieldname")

Karen December 14, 2022

This is what I did: created a custom field (named Application Area) of type dropdown (single select). Added the field to all Issues types where I want it.

Following the instructions in Importing data from CSV, I created a CSV with the following headings

Header: Summary,Application Area,Application Area,Application Area

Row:      Sample Issue,Account Administration,APIs & ODBC Views,Archive Feature for DCB Objects

Used the Import Wizard, mapping Application Area to my custom field and Summary to Summary

Ran the import

Result: one Issue but no values for the custom field.

Please let me know what I need to do differently.

Thanks

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events