how to add story points to task in jira?

Julia Tschernysch December 9, 2021

Hello, 

i want to add story points to tasks in jira. Is that possible?

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 9, 2021

You can do this by adjusting the fields available for the issue type.

In a team-managed project, that's a matter of the issue type  field mapping.  In company-managed projects, you may need to adjust the context of the field, the field configuration for the issue type and add the field to the create/edit/view screens.

Be warned though, if you are planning to use Story Points on sub-task issue types in an Agile project (like using story points as the sprint estimate) you will fail - it does not work.

Julia Tschernysch December 10, 2021

Thanks fur your answer.
We have company-managed projects and I have adjust the context of the field, the field configuration for the issue type and add the field to the create/edit/view screens but it sill don't work. 

When I look at the Task in the "frontend" the field is not there but in the backed it is added on the screens.

Frank Bajic January 21, 2022

Did anyone manage to solve this, I'm experiencing the same issue?

Julia Tschernysch January 25, 2022

Hello Frank,

i solved this Problem.

You should click to the Story Points Custom Field and there add the Issue type "task".

Story Points.jpg

Like Dirk Losch likes this
Frank Bajic January 27, 2022

Hi Julia,

thank you so much it worked perfectly.

Dirk Losch January 10, 2023

Hi Julia, that helped me, too, but it took me a moment until I realized you have to select "Contexts and default value" from the 3-dot menu.

grafik.png

Vikas Sharma September 14, 2023

Why we want to add Story point to a task, or you referring to any tasks which helps to complete a story or this is a standalone task. Which is being worked upon different from any feature?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events