different tickets to the same problem

Andreas Gans April 6, 2021

Hello all,

We have the problem that new tickets always open for the same problem. As soon as they come from another email but the same ticket number is in the subject. 
Can't the system refer directly to the ticket number? Because it hangs in the subject with.

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 6, 2021

You have not mentioned Service Management here, so I'll assume you are using a Core or Software project, which both use "mail handlers" to interpret incoming email.

These can be configured in several ways, but the main one people use is the "create or comment" handler, which reads the subject of an incoming email and looks for an issue key.  If it finds one, it treats the email as a comment, if it does not, then it creates a new one.

Check what the handlers are set up for at Admin -> Incoming email.

If it is for a Service Desk project, then those have an "email channel", you'll need to check that from the project configuration.

Hi Nic,

thx for the answer. I will check this. ; ) 

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- 

If someone replies to the same ticket but they are not listed in Jira does it work the same way? 

Or does this open the new ticket ??? 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 6, 2021

It depends on the configuration - if there's no account, is the handler configured to create an account and does the project allow for new users to create and comment on issues? 

0 votes
mararn1618 _secretbakery.io_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 6, 2021

Hi Andreas,

JSM will open new tickets if the sender's email does neither match

• the reporter
  • one of the request participants

To fix this you can add the other email addresses to the "request participants":

2021-04-06 13_06_56-[ITSMTEST-3] my computer doesn't work __ - Jira.png

@mararn1618 _secretbakery.io_ 

Also with the same ticket number in the subject? 

Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 6, 2021

Well, it will match the email to the ticket that matches the email subject. I think we both agree, but I'll paraphrase:

• The email subject must include the ticket number of the ticket that should receive the email content.

Also: I'm curious, since I'm right now working on automatic decuplication for JIRA: Does this happen often? If yes, let me know in case you'd like to bounce off some ideas.

That's Right, the Content of subject must be the same. 

And yes this happens more often, that the subject has the ticket number but a new one is opened. 

Marketplace Partner
April 6, 2021

If this thread doesn't help I'm happy to give you a sneak peek of the deduplication app I'm building - it also covers your email scenario. Just pick a slot from my calendar and I'll be there: https://calendly.com/markus-arndt/30min

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events