Why is the Kanban issue displaying in Scrum Board Backlog

Puneet Varma July 30, 2018

I have clear the sub-filter in Kanban, but no luck.  I do not want any issue display in the Scrum board when I create issue in the Kanban board.

Thanks

Puneet

3 answers

3 votes
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 30, 2018

Hi @Puneet Varma,

if you have two different boards in your project, you have to take care that every issue is belonging to one board only. 

Look at your board configuration and there on the filter query. Edit the query, so that every single issue is only belonging to one board, e.g. with a special component for scrum and another one for kanban. 

What value do I need to select in the query in order to make this happen?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 30, 2018

Whatever value it is that you want to determine if something appears on a board should block if from the other.  It sounds like you want the boards to be mutually exclusive.

If, for example, you want things with "Colour (custom field) = Red" on one board and not on the other, then one board filter should include "And Colour = Red", and the other filter, the opposite clause - "And Colour != Red or Colour is empty"

Any issue I create in the Kanban board should not be displayed at all in the Scrum board vice versa.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 30, 2018

So you need mutually exclusive board filters for the boards.

That is under Board Configuration on the main page.

0 votes
Vickey Palzor Lepcha
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 30, 2018

I would do something like this.

1) Create a new field with dropdown option - Hardware and Software

2) Every time I create issue I select field either as hardware or as software

3) Add that in my filter queries respectively and have them in their respective boards.

Pros -

1) You'll learn how to make a custom field with dropdown options 

2) Proper filter query between two boards

Cons -

Long process and it's like doing more than what you are asking for . Killing a housefly with a cannon :p - but it kills :p

Lol, thanks for your help.  Do I need to filter query under General --> Save filter or Quick filters

Vickey Palzor Lepcha
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 30, 2018

General - Saved Filters for the Board.

After that works fine and you get all the issues that you expect in a board - you can further filter INSIDE THE BOARD using QUICK FILTER.

Say inside SOFTWARE - you have ORACLE, SAP, PHP, TOMCAT, you can use Quick Filter option to change views further.

But for now - work on Saved Filter.

I am able to use the sub-filter for Kanban , but for Scrum board I am able to see the Kanban issues even though I have set a query 

Vickey Palzor Lepcha
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 30, 2018

You have to set some proper filter @Puneet Varma because they ultimately belong to the same project.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 30, 2018

You need to move away from the mistaken idea that there are scrum or kanban issues.  There are not.  There are issues that your board selects for view.

You can see the issues in both boards because your filters select them.  If you want to remove "kanban issues" from the scrum board, you need to change the board filter so that it excludes them, as I said earlier.

Puneet Varma July 31, 2018

Solution solved.  Thank you

Vickey Palzor Lepcha
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 31, 2018

@Puneet Varma Good to know.

0 votes
Vickey Palzor Lepcha
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 30, 2018

Check the two filters that you use in Kanban and Scrum board - there is a commonality between the two filters and that is why they are fetching the same data on both boards.

Vickey Palzor Lepcha
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 30, 2018

share your filters here if you like.

Under General and filter screen (Scrum)

Board Name Software Refresh

Filter:

Filter for Software Refresh

Shares Project: Project Name 

filter Query: project = NEW ORDER BY Rank A SC

Rank Using Rank

Under General and filter screen (Scrum)

Board Name Hardware Refresh

Filter:

Filter for Hardware Refresh

Shares Project: Project Name 

filter Query: project = NEW ORDER BY Rank A SC

Sub-Filter is blank

Vickey Palzor Lepcha
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 30, 2018

There is no distinction between Software Refresh and Hardware Refresh board filter query.

Find a parameter that differentiates your issues between Hardware Refresh and Software Refresh, add it in the filter and they will work.

Suggest an answer