• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Why is an active user not showing up in assignee list?

I have an active user with site access that is no longer available in the "assignee" dropdown.  I have been able to assign him to tasks for years, but suddenly he is no longer available on the "assignee" list.  Please help. 

3 answers

1 accepted

Thank you for letting me know! 

The issue still exists after the recent Jira update to the nav. This is just for one user, weirdly and is super annoying and has not been adequately addressed at all. 

0 votes
Jack Community Leader Jan 22, 2020

Hi Laura, for the project where this is occurring can you verify they are part of the project? How you do this depends on the type of project and whether on cloud/server but let me throw out this as a first attempt...

project settings > permissions

inspect the Assignable user permissions. is the user in any of the roles/groups listed?

Hi Mark,

Thanks so much for the quick response, this is so strange!  I went into the project settings, but there is nothing about Permissions anywhere.  Does our url to the site help determine if we are cloud or server?

Thanks so much in advance for your help.

Laura

Laura, first it is Jack not Mark ;-). Second you should not include your URL above as this is a public forum. Now on to your issue. It may be that you are on a Next-gen project. Can you share a screenshot of what you are seeing? If you are on the board view of the project do you see something like this...

nextgen.jpg

Can you click on Project settings and choose Access of do you see Permissions?

Oh geeze, I was emailing with a Mark when I emailed you, sorry about that, Jack!  Thanks again for helping me out.  Attached are two screenshots.  NOTE - I just checked with the employee who is missing on the "assignee" dropdown and he IS able to assign tasks to himself.  However, I am not able to assign to him. 

Hmmm, something isn't adding up. If you are saying that you can assign issues to others but not this one person then I would expect that person to not have permissions (assignable) in the project. However, you indicate others can assign him/her issues in the same project? Can you pull a third person into the equation and check if they see this person in their drop down? Also, if you are an admin you could log in as another person and check.

Strange, right?!  I have been able to assign him for years and his access is no different than anyone else's.  We use Jira for very basic task tracking in kanban boards. I asked a third person to check, he is unable to locate that employee in the assignee list, also.  But again, the employee in question can assign tasks to himself.  Very odd.  

so have you actually witnessed this person entering their name and seeing it in the drop down? same project? It still feels like a permissions issue. Maybe a group/role has changed? can you share screenshot of what you have for "Assignable users" under project settings > permissions? example....

assign.jpg

Correct, I'm on a goto meeting with our employees and watched him assign himself and watched the assignee on the task change.  Other employees, however, do not see him on the assignee list. Capture4.PNG

Jack, another user posted this answer; looks like this is a documented issue that is being investigated, thankfully - https://jira-core.status.atlassian.com/incidents/c55k71d89qyy?_ga=2.267918988.321252160.1579702567-53276199.1543261292 

Thank you so much for your help. I'm all ears if you have any other suggestions, but hopefully Atlassian will be resolving quickly. 

I have an active user with site access that is no longer available in the "assignee" dropdown.  I have been able to assign him to tasks for years, but suddenly he is no longer available on the "assignee" list or using @ in the comments sections. Could someone help? . 

Jack Community Leader Jan 05, 2021

please create a new post and/or search the Community for similar issues. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Posted in Jira Software

Presenting the "Best of 2020" Jira Software roundup!

Catch up with Atlassian Product Managers in our 2020 Demo Den round-up! From Advanced Roadmaps to Code in Jira to Next-Gen Workflows, check out the videos below to help up-level your work in the new ...

7,184 views 8 28
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you