Why am I unable to use the !~ operator in this line?

Ethan Cook July 3, 2019

JiraTextError.PNGI'm not sure why I'm unable to use the !~ operator in this line. The ~ operator by itself works just fine, and Jira documentation says that !~ can be used in a text search like I'm doing above. Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Matthias Gaiser _K15t_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 3, 2019

Hi @Ethan Cook,

welcome to the community.

the !~ operator is not supported for the text field as you can see in the docs here.

However, there might be other ways to get what you want. Some pointers to get you started:

• Do you really want to search all text fields? Or would the summary be enough? The summary supports the !~ operator.
  • You could also try to rephrase your text search based on these docs. This way you could exclude some term with "-VTASK".

Cheers,
Matthias.

Ethan Cook July 3, 2019

Yes, the summary would be enough! Thank you very much.

0 votes
Thomas Magny-Garcia
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 3, 2019

Hi @Ethan Cook ,

I tried and the advanced search proposes only the "~" operator Capture.PNG.
Although  I have the "!~" operator for a summary search for instance.
According to the doc, the tilde, "~", symbol at the end of a single word term, is used to do a fuzzy search, For example, to search for a term similar in spelling to a single word. What do you want to do with a "!~" ? Looking for a term not similar to another word?

I don't think you can search issue which the text field doesn't contain "VTASK", sorry...

Suggest an answer