While we opt to upgrade the existing JIRA license, what will happen to the old data?

sakthivel-systech September 18, 2019

Meaning, If i upgrade my existing JIRA 6.1 to the all new JIRA 8.4, how will i manage to migrate my old data. Easy or difficult, whether we can do it on or own or Atlassian or any third party will do. Pls help with an immediate answer.

1 answer

0 votes
Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 18, 2019

Hi @sakthivel-systech 

Most likely you would not loose your data (if done properly). Since you are using Jira 6.1 you will have to do couple of jumps. Most likely 6.1 > 7.0.11 > 7.13 > 8.4.

I know 3 jumps but that's why it is recommended to upgrade before end of life. Anyways before upgrade take a look at your add-ons, understand the impact of upgrade like possible data loss, change in functionality, educating users about new features and different UI.

Do it on test instance first. Perform UAT.

You can do it yourself. The procedure is well documented. In case your need help a partner can help as well. They are experienced in doing such upgrades.

Ravi

P.S. - I work for a partner as well.

Suggest an answer