Where is the file attached is stored and why it is renamed?

Samir Freelance
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 27, 2011

4 answers

1 vote
Samir Freelance
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 27, 2011

Ok what if i want to import files to include in jira?

i was using another software and attached a file now i want to use jira .

so i want to have old software attached file... this explains the reason of why am asking about the name of the files

so what should i do now in case i need to import old files?

what do you suggest?

best regards

Sameera Shaakunthala [inactive]
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 27, 2011

Hi Samir,

I think you should have added your post as a comment to Nics answer rather than a new answer.

What you are saying is not clear to me. To my understanding you are telling that you have been using another issue tracking software (such as Bugzilla) and now you want to import existing data from that software to Jira. With that you need to import the attachments too.

Is my understanding correct?

Regards,

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 27, 2011

We scripted an import using the SOAP attach function a while ago. You don't have to think about this too much - just give it the issue key and the physical file location.

Samir Freelance
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 28, 2011

Hi Sameera ,yes that s what i am pointing to ,your understanding is correct ..what shoud i do in order to import existing data stored also in Sql Server and it attached file

Samir Freelance
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 3, 2011

HI Nic can everythings is working find I just need to add the attachement can you please tell me where to ind the attache function and how to use it

thanks

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 27, 2011

>but i am lost where is my file attached is located physically ?
>i attached a text file name :myfile.txt
>but i can locate it in the default C:\Program Files\Atlassian\Application Data\JIRA\data\attachments\
You already found it, the file with a prefix is the physical file you uploaded.

>i can see a the file but renamed to 10100
>why is in myfile.txt the original name?????
Because file names have to be unique on a file system, and Jira allows people to upload the same file (name) several times. I've got several clients who do things like "please attach a file with the same name as the Jira issue you are talking about", and we end up with ABC-123.doc attached a couple of dozen times.

>how to preserve the original name (myfile.txt)
You can't. Not without changing code and losing all the uniqueness - it would have to replace the file and destroy the old one if you wanted to preserve names.

0 votes
Samir Freelance
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 4, 2011

NIC how and where to download the SOAP attach function - and how to give it the issue key and the physical file location.

0 votes
Samir Freelance
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 28, 2011

Hi Sameera ,yes that s what i am pointing to ,your understanding is correct ..what shoud i do in order to import existing data stored also in Sql Server and it attached file

Nic :you mean i copy my old files to the folder C:\Program Files\Atlassian\Application Data\JIRA\data\attachments\

and then I go to Sql database and insert into the table

[jiraschema].[fileattachment] the Column [issueid]?

i can t see physical file location stored in the table...

ID issueid MIMETYPE FILENAME CREATED FILESIZE AUTHOR
10001 10013 text/plain Attached file.txt 2011-06-17 12:54:39.470 27 samir
10002 10018 image/jpeg 16047_165854987502_591372502_2943312_6230580_n.jpg 2011-06-17 14:27:18.750 12768 admin
10100 10300 text/plain UploadedFile.txt 2011-06-28 16:40:58.157 22 admin
10101 10301 text/plain UploadedFile2.txt 2011-06-28 18:11:32.983 22 admin

Samir Freelance
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 30, 2011

Hi Nic and sorry for asking again you said :

"We scripted an import using the SOAP attach function a while ago. You don't have to think about this too much - just give it the issue key and the physical file location."

where can i find this SOAP attach function? can you please send me the link to download it or past it here along with how to use it

I am so thankfull Nic for your help .trully you are a Jira Hero )

Suggest an answer