Want to use same User story or Task for multiple sprint with specific sub tasks under that Tas

Mohamed Imthiyas J May 10, 2021

Want to use same User story or Task for multiple sprint with specific sub tasks under that Task

Is it possible in Jira.

The same is easily managed in Azure DevOps.

Do we have any option to manage that kind of scenario in Jira?

The Scenario is 

I have completed half of the User story in a Sprint and I want to work remaining sub tasks in Next sprint but I am unable to change the sprint in Sub task and if Change the User story's sprint it is moving all the closed sub tasks. 

I want to move only the sub tasks and the User story should show in both the sprints.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 10, 2021

Hello @Mohamed Imthiyas J 

Welcome to the community.

The design of JIRA does not support assigning Sub-tasks to sprints directly. The Sub-tasks are carried along with their parent issue and it is the parent issue that is assigned to a sprint. All Sub-tasks move with their parent issue from one sprint to another.

JIRA natively supports a much simplified item hierarchy, compared to Azure. The basic hierarchy is

Epic > Story/Task/Bug > Sub-task

The functionality can be extended upwards using the Roadmaps feature.

There are specific functional features tied to the level at which the issue type exists.

Sub-tasks are always a child of another issue. Sub-tasks do not stand alone with regard to Story points or being assigned to sprints.

If you need to separate the work you have defined at the Sub-task level and get credit for it in different sprints you will have to use an issue type from the higher level, such as Story or Task.

Mohamed Imthiyas J May 10, 2021

Hi @Trudy Claspill 

So how can we achieve the above scenario. If a want to work for a same story for more than once Sprint.

If I create new story for the same requirement then it will become duplicate and we cannot track the exact work spent for the requirement.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 11, 2021

Hello @Mohamed Imthiyas J 

You have three choices.

1. Accept the functional design of JIRA. If you divide a Task into sub-tasks and it takes more than one sprint to complete all the sub-tasks, then all sub-tasks will move from one sprint to the next along with the parent Task. And you will not see credit for the completed Task/sub-tasks in Burn Up/Down charts, Velocity charts and Sprint reports until the sprint in which the Task is finally completed.

2. If you want credit for the work done each sprint, which you are currently tracking in Sub-tasks, you will have to define that work in higher level issues - Tasks, Stories, or a custom issue type at that same level. If you want to group that work at a higher level, you can make those issues children of Epics.

3. If this native three level hierarchy is not sufficient for you, look at the features and apps that are available to extend the hierarchy. Natively, the Roadmaps feature lets you add additional higher level hierarchy, like Initiatives above Epics. You can also find third party apps that give you additional flexibility in the hierarchy, but I have not actually used any of those. One that I can think of is called Structure, but I know there are others.

Like Dave Rosenlund likes this
Dave Rosenlund
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 11, 2021

Hi, @Mohamed Imthiyas J.  I agree with @Trudy Claspill.

Jira is like many enterprise software platforms. It can be used for many different use cases and has tremendous flexibility, but there are some fundamental design decisions that make it so broadly applicable. 

Unfortunately, some of those design decisions may also turn out to be limiting for some use cases — like the one you describe. 

Since no one likes to hear "that's not possible," Atlassian made Jira extensible, too — publishing APIs for their customers and 3rd-party app developers so they could extend the platform. 

As Trudy says, Advanced Roadmaps from Atlassian may be able to help you achieve your goals, but you'd have to upgrade to the Jira Cloud Premium plan for that. If you'd rather not upgrade to premium, as Trudy says, Structure is one of the 3rd-party apps that can help you achieve your goal -- but there are others, too.  

I suggest a quick search of the Atlassian Marketplace: 

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/addons/app/jira/top-rated?hosting=cloud&query=hierarchy

to see some of your options.

-dave [ALM Works]

P.S. ALM Works is the company that develops Structure. If you decide to have a closer look at it our support team will gladly help you assess how you might implement your use case with Structure.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events