Various issues with Jira Agile (Kanban)

Jan Kroken January 7, 2014

Hi, we are using Jira Agile for a large projekt, and have numerous issues for which I have failed to find solutions. Note that we are using Jira 6.0.5 - it's a company wide installation with a lot of projects in it. Anyway, here goes:

For edit issue, we can choose if the epic name is visible or not. If it is not visible, when we change an issue from a different issue type to epic, the epic name is not set. If it is visible, when changing from epic to a different type, epic name is mandatory. Generally, why does epics have an epic name in addition to the summary?

We have extended the number of states, and have multiple boards covering different subsets (so that we have one board for newly registered issues where we can prepare them, and a separate board for tasks that are either ready to start on, in progress or closed. However, when we move an issue to resolved/closed, then we get a question of we want to close the parent task if none of the other sub tasks are visible in the current view.

It would be a great help to be able to set the initial state of a new issue based on rules with regards to the state of the parent issue. If we work on an issue and discover that we need to create another issue, we generally want that new task to get a "ready" state, rather than the same initial state as a brand new issue would get (which in our case will leave it in the preparation board rather than the progress board).

Similarily, when changing priority on an issue that is a part of another parent issue, I would like automatically update the priority (based on rules) of the parent issue - in my case so that it gets the priority of the highest priority not-closed subtask.

When I set up filters, they are set up for my personal user. I can share them, but I would like to make a set of filters connected to, and directly visible to, users who access a project.

When creating a new isssue, I need a way to verify that labels are at least set, and preferably set according to given rules. Since we have *many* issues, we're depending on labels to be able to find them again, and if someone who registers an issue are sloppy and forget the labels, it might drown.

We structure it so that we have epics, containing user stories, which again contains subtasks. In the agile board, if you display the subtask, the name of the user story is displayed, but not the name of the epic (and they are not sorted together). To counter this. Like this:

Epic:New customer:Amazon

User story:Set up access to REST service:

Sub-task: Configure firewall opening

in the board, all that will be displayed is:

Set up access to REST service

Configure firewall opening

so to know what the issue is all about, we need to name the user story

"New Customer: Amazon: set up access to REST service" (which is duplication.

And the tasks belonging to user stories of different epics are interleaved, making it

very hard to get an overview.

(note that we have hundreds (right now about 275) open issues any time - which might be more than normal).

2 answers

0 votes
Robert Leitch [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 9, 2014

Hi Jan,

Our Structure plugin (https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.almworks.jira.structure/) could help relieve some of the difficulties you're facing, particularly regarding visibility and representing complex relationships between issues.

Some light reading on the subject - http://almworks.com/blog/2013-11-jira-agile-structure.html

I'm also game for a challenge, so feel free to get in touch if you have questions.

Best,

Robert

0 votes
Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 7, 2014

Hi Jan,

I think your problems are a bit too complex to solve simply by only using the answers site.

A face to face contact would help you a whole deal more.

Have you contacted your local expert for help?

https://www.atlassian.com/resources/experts/?tab=find-an-expert&expertskills=*&products=JIRA,JIRA%20Agile&expertlocation=Norway

I think none of your problems are truely problematic, some are design decision made by Atlassian, others should be able to get solved using JIRA Agile and filters creatively.

I would love to help you out face 2 face (I always like a challenge), but I'm a Belgian Expert and I think it would be a bit to costly to fly to norway and back :)

Best regards,

Peter

Suggest an answer