Update story points after sprint is closed

Erez Cohen September 19, 2022

After updating story points on a closed sprint, it does not update the velocity report.

Is there anyway to run the report without having to reopen and close the sprint?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 19, 2022

Hello @Erez Cohen 

The Velocity Report is a snapshot of information as two specific points in time. The Committed value is the sum when the sprint is Started. The Completed value is the sum when the sprint is Completed. These will not be changed when you later modify the values in issues.

I haven't actually tried reopening and re-closing the sprint to update the values. 

I have to ask, why are you changing story points on stories after the sprint has been completed?

Erez Cohen September 20, 2022

The team is currently not estimating the stories; there are estimating only the sub-tasks. I Assuming the average size of USs is more or less the same, I am trying to measure velocity based on USs completion in order to use the result for planning.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 21, 2022

Sub-tasks are not sprint-assignable items. Because of that, estimation to be used for Sprint Velocity should occur at the sprint-assignable issue level (i.e. Story issues).

There are automated methods you could use to "roll up" your sub-task estimates to their parent issues. If you have Jira Data Center, Automation for Jira is a built in feature that could be used.

Suggest an answer