Unable to load sub-tasks from CSV file

Alish Maity June 25, 2020

Hi Experts,

I am trying to import sub-tasks from a CSV file, and link it to the tasks already existing in the system.

I took an export of the existing Tasks to get the Issue ID, which I am using as the Parent ID for the sub-tasks that I want to import.

However, while validating the load I am getting the error - 

"Subtask 'Sub Task 1' doesn't have a valid Parent Id selection. Issue will not be created. "

Please help me resolve this issue.

5 answers

0 votes
C_ Derek Fields
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 28, 2023

I came across this post as I was trying to figure out the same problem and realized that the advice, at least for Cloud 2023, is not completely accurate.

If you are trying to import Sub-tasks where there parents already exist, you do not need to import that parents as well. You only need to have an empty "Issue ID" column.

Example that works for me:

Parent Id, Issue Id, Summary, Issue Type

ABC-123,,"This is the summary",sub-task

ABC-123,,"Second subtask",sub-task

Leave the "Issue Id" column empty. 

0 votes
YunFan Ni February 10, 2023

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/MIG-395

When using the non-admin CSV import tool, the "Validate" feature is giving a false error when validating a CSV with Parent/Sub-task.

Clicking on "Begin Import" with the same CSV and configuration will import the issues successfully with no errors.

0 votes
CJ Edwards November 18, 2022

I know this one is a bit older and the explanation is Correct, but also confusing and not complete.

You can import Sub-tasks on their own with no problem BUT, you MUST include the original task parents AS WELL

Wait what!? you said I don't have to create them at the same time.

You do NOT have to re-create the issues but the csv needs to know they are THERE are the time when it parses the csv.

When you add "issue id", and that already exists in Jira, it will try to EDIT that issue. This is important to understand how this works when adding sub-tasks to existing tasks/stories etc.,

Ex.

TEST-123 exists in Jira already, that is OK

.csv

Issue Type, Issue Id, Parent Id, Summary, Description,...
Task, TEST-123, , , <-- leave the Summary blank it will fail to UPDATE the original issue 
Sub-task, ,TEST-123, I like dogs, description why,,, <-- sub-task can now be linked properly

Notes:

- Failed to update the original issue will still create the new sub-tasks correctly

- Adding "Issue Id" will try to UPDATE the existing issue,  otherwise it will try to make a new issue with that EXACT key.

- You must include the original key and original story/task or the subtask cant find it during parsing

I hope this helps!

CJ

0 votes
Suraj Verma September 12, 2022

0 votes
Dave Theodore [Coyote Creek Consulting]
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 25, 2020

Check the Importing Data From CSV doc and scroll down to the "Creating Sub-tasks" section. It describes the format.

For example, if you want your sub-task to be associated with ABC-123, your CSV format will look something like this:

Summary,Issue ID, Parent ID
"my issue summary",ABC-123,,
"my sub-task summary",,ABC-123

Note the "Parent ID" column has no value for the parent issue, and there is no "Issue ID" for the sub-task, since we didn't choose to manually give it an issue number. In this case, the sub-task will become the next issue # in sequence. 

Alish Maity June 26, 2020

Thank you Dave for the response.

I have followed the Importing Data From CSV doc while creating the sub-tasks

PFB the sub-tasks in CSV format that I want to import and link them to a task already existing in the system - 

Area ( Testing )*,Sub-Area ( Testing )*,Issue ID*,Parent ID*,Issue Type*,Summary*
Setup,Tenant Readiness Check,,11537,Test Case,Verify that all requested test user accounts are ready - As Compensation Admin - NA

Task with the Issue ID -11537 already exists in the system and I want to import the sub-task ( Issue Type - Test Case ) of it. While validating the import , I am getting the following error - 

Subtask 'Verify that all requested test user accounts are ready - As Compensation Admin - NA' doesn't have a valid Parent Id selection. Issue will not be created. 

I am getting this error while trying to validate the import of any sub-tasks to my project. Do I need to configure any project setting , as despite a valid parent id I am continuously getting this error.

NOTE : Earlier the import of sub-tasks was happening without such errors. All of a sudden , I am getting this error.

Please let me know I am committing any mistake. Please help me resolve this issue. 

Dave Theodore [Coyote Creek Consulting]
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 26, 2020

Are you mapping the "Issue type" column values to the desired ones? You need to tick the checkbox on the right in order to map them. The "Parent ID" value in each row is a full valid issue# right? LIke ABC-123 rather than just 123.

It may also be worth opening an Atlassian support ticket to have them look at the logs for more detailed info.

Like Guillermo likes this
Alish Maity June 26, 2020

Yes, the issue type is right and the value has been mapped also by the checkbox on the right. The only issue is JIRA is stating that the Parent ID select is not valid, while it is a valid one.

Jeff Abbott March 26, 2022

I have the same problem. Issue IDs are valid but Jira is not importing them. So, I tried using the Parent Key instead. About 1/4 of those imported. Wish I was making this up.

Clint Collins May 20, 2022

Same issue here - doing everything in exactly the same manner as the export file - no love!

Subtask '4. Sign Off Complete' doesn't have a valid Parent Id selection. Issue will not be create

SONNET Constant September 29, 2022

Same issue for me.
try both with parent issue key and parent issue id.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events