Unable to add issues to sprint

Sapna Satagopan April 12, 2021

I am the admin to my team-managed software project (Earlier called Next-gen?) When I view my board, it tells me I need to start a sprint. Except I don't see any way to add a sprint from my backlog. What is the check-list if items to enable me to start a Sprint? I was able to do this fine in other projects. Note: My Project Settings -> Features has everything enabled (roadmap/backlog/sprints/boards) except the Boards setting is not editable 

2 answers

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 12, 2021

There should be a "Create Sprint" button in the upper right side of the backlog.

If you are not seeing this, please provide a screen image of what you do see.

Screen Shot 2021-04-12 at 12.48.01 PM.png

backlog.png

I do not see Create Sprint although Sprints are enabled and I am the admin

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 12, 2021

Are any other users seeing the button for this project?

I searched for other posts mentioning the same issue. The only one I found did not have a solution other than a recommendation to contact Atlassian Support directly. 

Like Sapna Satagopan likes this
0 votes
elizabeth_jones
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 12, 2021

In my project, once I navigate to the backlog, on the far right hand side of the screen I have a button that says "create sprint". Do you have this option available to you? Screen Shot 2021-04-12 at 1.45.08 PM.png

Yep, i see that for other projects but not this one.

Like elizabeth_jones likes this
elizabeth_jones
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 12, 2021

If you are unable to see the button, then this is likely a permissions issue. Permissions will likely be set by the team and I suspect you will need to setup administrator positions for your role. Here's what that looks like: Screen Shot 2021-04-12 at 1.47.41 PM.png

oddly, I am the administrator of the project.

elizabeth_jones
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 12, 2021

And have you confirmed that you have this box checked?Screen Shot 2021-04-12 at 6.09.49 PM.png

interesting--what page is this? My profile/account settings?

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 12, 2021

From the Project Settings > Access page (where you see you are assigned to the Administrator role) click the Manage Roles button. You should get something like this:

Screen Shot 2021-04-12 at 7.28.29 PM.png

Do you see "Administrator" more than once there? You should not. If you then click on Administrator it will show you a non-editable list of the permissions assigned to the Administrator role. That is where you should the option mentioned by @elizabeth_jones , but in this JIRA-created role it should already be selected and not editable.

Sapna Satagopan April 13, 2021

Yeah it shows me as administrator with all rights and its not editable. One question that popped in my mind--would adding priority settings to each task disable sprints? Our team set priorities using the project settings -> tasks -> priority. Not sure if that disables sprints?

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 13, 2021

No, using the Priority field in the Task issues would not affect the ability to use sprints. However, I don't have the same options that you see for "project settings > tasks > priority". Can you provide a screen image of that?

At this point I would recommend you contact Atlassian Support directly about this issue. I've exhausted my knowledge in this area.

elizabeth_jones
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 14, 2021

Have you tried creating a new role, like Scrum Master, and assigning the specific capabilities to manage sprints to yourself and another team member? That will allow you to troubleshoot whether or not permissions are working as expected. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events