The audit log shows the author of an entry as "JIRA". What does that mean?

Nicholas Chammas June 29, 2016

I'm looking at the audit log and I see that most entries have an author that refers to a real JIRA user. However, some entries have an author of "JIRA".

What does this mean? Does it mean the action was not triggered by a person?

In my case I'm trying to track down who deleted an entire JIRA project. Knowing that the author is "JIRA" is not helpful.

5 answers

11 votes
Betty Quay September 28, 2017

Thanks for the information - at least I know I am not going crazy now

However, I am not sure one can call something an "audit" if you the audit trail not show who (a real person) made the change.  Especially for something as important as a user, group or project level change.  

This is a big security issue for JIRA frankly.

5 votes
Maria Bodkin January 22, 2020

There's not one reply from Atlassian.  Com'on Guys.  This issue needs to be fixed.  What is an Audit log without the user name who made the change?

4 votes
Piotr Drozdowski October 31, 2019

Its almost end of 2019 and this bug is still there, great work Atlassian...

3 votes
Prabha Dias September 15, 2017

The help doc says that there is a known issue where the author does not show for user management events.  

"There is a known issue which prevents the Author field from displaying the username for changes that were made in the user management pages in Jira cloud applications (including changes to users, groups, and application access). For example, events such as users being created or users being assigned to groups will not include the username of the user who made that change."

Is on this page:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/auditing-in-jira-applications-818578846.html

Raul MrAddon June 25, 2019

The bug still in Jira 7.13.1 we have some users in the audit log inactivated using the user "JIRA" .... super big bug security issue

Like # people like this
1 vote
Andrea Carl
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 30, 2016

I also have a "JIRA" user showing in my audit file for deleting a project - even though I was the one who deleted the project.  I would see if Atlassian can get you a detailed log file - that may help.

Suggest an answer